Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Hi, Im on a Macbook OS X, 10.6.8. I was importing photos

Hi, I'm on a Macbook OS X, 10.6.8. I was importing photos from iPhone and its telling me that my "Startup Disk is almost full". However, I have over 11gb of free space on my hard drive.

Why am I getting this error?

Thanks
Hi there. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What is the Total Capacity of your hard drive ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How can I find that information?

Goto Apple > About This Mac > More Info. This will open System Profiler. Select Serial - ATA in System Profiler and you can find the details about the hard drive in there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

160gb.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello?

Sorry for the delayed response. I already posted the answer, but it seems like it didn't go through. Got a Denied Error.

For 160GB HDD and for Mac OS X 10.6, you need 5GB Free Space + 15% of Total Capacity of HDD for the proper working of OS X. You need atleast free space of 29GB

11GB is not much enough, so that warning is not false. I'd recommend to delete some unwanted big files from your Mac to free some space.

Download and install this application : http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnidisksweeper/

This application will help you to find/identify the big files that is using up your HDD Space.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I need to ask another question, but I'm getting that same answer.

How do I get around that access denied error?

Are you getting the Access Denied error from this website ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes!

So I have 90 gigs is tied up within "User" and 10gb within LIbrary > Application Support > MobileSync.

Do you know what Mobile Sync is?

Stephen, Unfortunately that is site related. It seems like JustAnswer is running some maintainance. This is something I've no control over. I hope that will fix it soon. Sorry about that...

Yep, Mobile Sync is where your Mac saves all the "Backups" of your iPhone. You should delete some old backups from that folder. Or delete everything from that folder and do a fresh backup of your iPhone from iTunes.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Last question - there are som applications I can delete. On a Mac, does deleting them uninstall them as well? I know on Windows you need to uninstall, but how does it work on Mac?

That depends up on how you installed them. If you used "drag and drop" method, then you can simply trash them. If you installed from Package (.pkg or other package files), then you have to uninstall them using the uninstaller came with that particular application.

I'd recommend to uninstall those applications using this utility, AppCleaner: http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

AppCleaner will uninstall the applications and all its related files from your Mac.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Ashik.

You're most welcome Stephen. Stephen, I've one more suggestion. Download and install this utility, Onyx from here : http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

Open Onyx. In Onyx, click on Maintenance tab. Select Rebuild tab, check all boxes and then Execute. The under Cleaning select System and User and check all boxes on both and Execute. This will fix all system files, clean out old unwanted files and caches etc from your Mac.

Keep Onyx. It is the best maintainance utility out there.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ashik,

onyx recommendes I go to disk utility. After verifying my disk,

disk utility said I need to repair disk. Its telling me to use a startup disk, but I dont have one.

1. Is there another way to do it?

2. Is there going to mess up my computer in any way?

thanks

Startup is your hard disk Macintosh HD. Select it in the left columnd and click Repair Disk.

1 - If you have the OS X discs, you can boot into it and then run Repairs from it. Let me know if you need help with that
2 - Running Onyx or Disk Utility won't mess up your Mac. Disk Utility will fix system files, structure of hard drive etc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Ashik,

1. I don't have the repair disks, can I just click "Repair Disk Permissions" in Disk Utility after a normal boot? (The "Repair Disk" on the right is greyed out)

2. But doing this repair in disk utility, will it cause any problems to my computer?

Thanks

Hi Stephen, You have to Verify Disk first. If there is any problem, Repair Disk will active and click it. Then hit Repair Permissions.

No, Disk Utility won't cause any problems. But I'd recommend to backup your important files to any external hard drive ASAP since it showed errors.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Ashik,

I already verified it and it is telling me to repair. however, the "repair disk" on the right is greyed out, while "repair disk permissions" on the left I can click.

I can't send you the photo bc Justanswer is having problems with their site (access denied errors)

I understand Stephen. Now click Repair Permissions.

Then we can run Disk Utility (Repair Disk) from Single User Mode. Follow the steps below to run Disk Utility in Single User Mode.

Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. This will boot your Mac into Single User Mode (black screen with white letters). Then type the following commands...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck -fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up.

Let me know how it goes Stephen

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Everything going smoothly so far, and I'm on the 2nd step of onyx.

Question:

1. I've clicked system and user and checked all the boxes. Do I hit execute twice? Once while in system and once while in user? The reason I ask is because there are boxes checked in the other tabs....

Hi Stephen, Yes, you need to execute twice if they are on different tabs.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Ashik,

Everything seemed to have gone smoothly, thank you for your help!

I did notice that my "Google Drive" folder disappeared from my Places list in finder. There were a few other things too, but I don't remember what they were... in any event, would be good to get that one back. Do you know how?

Hi Stephen,
You just lost the shortcut of Google Drive, I believe. Open any Finder window, click on Finder menu and select Preferences. In Preferences, select Sidebar. Under Places, enable all the items you want. Let me know if you can't find it there.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hmmm... but it doesn't give me the option to check it. Do you know how I can add it?

Download and install Google Drive from here on your Mac : https://tools.google.com/dlpage/drive

Did that work ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortuantely, no. It jsut installed it, but didn't add the shortcut...

If you can see Google Drive in your Mac (in Desktop or in Finder), just select it then click and drag it to Places section in Finder and it will be added there.

Just drag it in between two items and not over any current items in Places. Did that work ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes! Thanks again for all your help!

You're most welcome Stephen.If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask as I'm happy to help you :)

Have a great day,
Stephen, don't delete Onyx. Just keep it and run it once or twice in every month.

Best Regards,
Hi there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for following up, Ashik. At this point, everything seems to be working properly. If I have any questions, I will let you know.

Steve

Thank You Steve :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Ashik - quick question, can I delete the "cache" folder in Omni or will it cause problems? Its 2.7 gb of space that I could really use...

Hi Stephen, Yes, you can safely delete the cache folder.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks!

You're most welcome :)