Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Hi, I have a 15" macbook pro mid-2009, with 750gb hybrid hard

Hi, I have a 15" macbook pro mid-2009, with 750gb hybrid hard drive. And there's no problem with it. But I'd like to upgrade to SSD in order to boost up speed. I read a lot of article about to swapping to SSD. But does it really make difference in terms of speed?

If so, what are the options do I have? I am open to buy samsung or other brands.

My music library is over 50gb and iphoto libray is also over 50gb. And I run parallels with XP on it. I need both worlds. So i am thinking to get at least 500gb SSD just to be safe.

And I don't want to reinstall everything. I hope to migrate everything exactly as of today after I upgrade.

I've asked several questions. I really need and expert advices rather than quick answers, which would deserve lower rating.

Please guide me or teach me or inform me.

Thank you in advance!

As far as iTunes and iPhoto you won't get that much increase in speed because they don't require that much speed as far as Music and Photos you may gain reliability as far as playing Movies in iTunes but if you already have a hybrid drive I don't think you really need to move to an SSD. If you had an olderXXXXXthen I would say it would make a difference. Speed like that would only help you with iMovie or Final Cut Pro but you have a bottleneck which is your RAM and Processor and Graphics hardware which cannot be changed, assuming you have already maxed out the RAM. Is that the only programs you use that you want to boost?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'd like to boost overall speed. I don't use final cut or other graphic programs. But I use other programs like, Accordance 10 and Logos 4, which deal with extensive search engine.

I think i have 750GB 7200rpm Hybrid HD.

I watch a lot of movies on Parallels running.

Sometimes the unibody gets really warm. And slows down little bit.

I thought I could boost overall health and speed if i upgrade to SSD.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I asked you a question how can I get a relist already? Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Also what version of Parallels?
The processor is being maxed out that is why it is getting hot. There are so many other factors that would affect speed other than the hard drive like how much Ram you have and how much you are allocating to Parallels, etc... I really need all that info too. I would also ask why you are watching movies on Parallels which is going to be a big slow down right off the bat as the graphics card is not really being used as it would with a native system, it is emulating a graphics card stressing out the processor. As far as your Mac apps that you have mentioned they are not really going to benefit much more upgrading from a hybrid as they don't use the hard drive to any great extent, but I would need a lot more info. Using an external SSD to house your Paralles virtual disk might help a little. Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thanks for reply.

The version is 10.8.3.

It's 2.53 Ghz intel core 2 due, 8gb 1067mhz DDR3

Parallels version is 8.

OK can I ask why you watch movies in XP instead of the native Mac OS 10.8.3? What are you expecting to speed up by switching to and SSD instead of a hybrid drive?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I use active x based website to download HD movie files. And it takes some time to move to Mac file folder. So, I just watch movie on XP.

And I would expect quick loading programs and keep working without lagging. It's not just watching movie on parallels. Just over all speed up.

But as you said, if it won't boost up much, then I wouldn't spend money on it.
Yes I just don't think you will get much speedup for the price. Allocating more RAM to Parallels for both processor and video might help more.