Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Hi. My iMac turns on but the white screen appears with the

Hi. My iMac turns on but the white screen appears with the apple logo and a loading bar appears. sometimes the computer will shut down and others the white screen and logo will remain there with the waiting icon turning around. What do you suggest?
Thanks
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Tell the truth that does not sound good.

Try this.
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the computer's power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Then let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've done that. Not good... I have also pressed option, command, P, R. The same thing happens: white screen, waiting icon and then the computer turns off or waits for ever. All of this is happening after the computer was unplugged to paint the room it is in. Until this, everything was working fine...
Thanks

This could be a failed power supply inside the computer.
I do think it is hardware, could be the power supply, logic board or the hard drive.
Are you on another Mac and if so do you have a firewire cable compatible with both? It may be possible to go at this from another angle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yep, I do have another MAC and a firewire.

I am trying to reinstall OS from the original computer CD, but apparently an error occurs every time. I am trying again now.

Then try starting the sick Mac in Target Mode by holding the letter T down until the radiation symbol appears.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
It may be on a blue screen.
Then use the firewire cable and connect the two Macs.
Open Disk Utility, select the Mac HD firewire drive and see if it can be repaired.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have managed to reinstall the original OS system and I am now downloading all the updates in order to recover my time capsule backup.

All I wanted you to do was repair the hard drive and repair permissions with Disk Utility but if you did get OS X installed and do have Time Machine then have at it. I would have used Time Machine first and then updated but this should work OK.