Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

Why has my lphotos diappeared and a question mark over it

Why has my lphoto's diappeared and a question mark over it
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

From what you are describing, iphoto can display a question mark for several reasons.
1. The original application may have been trashed accidentally
2. The original application may have been removed from the application folder
3. Your computer may need a software update

Appleologist :

Have you moved or trashed your iphoto accidentally?

Customer:

I could well have done as I am computer challenged

Appleologist :

Ok lets go a head and check. Click on the trash in the bottom right corner of your screen. This will open a window of trashed items. Is iphoto listed?

Customer:

it has one photograph in it which i do not want

Appleologist :

When you click on the iphoto application, what error message do you get?

Customer:

There is nothing , nothing happens

Appleologist :

Next we will search for the application to see if it is still installed. Open finder by clicking on the first happy face icon in the dock. In the upper right corner is a search box. Type in iphoto

Customer:

There is a list of photographs but I do not think all of them

Appleologist :

So the actual iphoto application does not appear correct?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

Ok, lets check for updates. Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose software updates .Which updates are available?

Customer:

can I bring the photos there back into iphotos?

Appleologist :

Your photos are still there, its just the application that is missing

Customer:

wow this is science fiction Still checking for upates

Customer:

My soft ware is up to date

Appleologist :

Ok so it sounds like it was accidentally deleted. What operating system are you running? To find this out, click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose about this mac. Read me the version number

Customer:

10.6.8

Appleologist :

Ok so it sounds like you may have deleted iphoto by accident. Lets see if you can re-download it. Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in App store

Customer:

done that but it disappeared when I started typing to you

Appleologist :

Yes, it is still open. You will need to switch back and forth between screens. Click on the app store again. In the upper right corner within the app store, type in iphoto

Customer:

do I have to buy it again?

Appleologist :

No, does it have a price next to it or does it say install?

Customer:

it has a price next to it

Appleologist :

Ok so then you will need to install it using the install CD. Do you still have it?

Appleologist :

The CD that came with your computer

Customer:

Do you mean snow leapard

Appleologist :

yes

Appleologist :

Do you have it?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

It has version 10.6.3

Appleologist :

Ok go ahead and load the CD into your computer

Customer:

there is a large x and is option instal about xcode .app

Appleologist :

Great. Go ahead and choose option install

Customer:

xcode,mpkg

Appleologist :

choose option install

Appleologist :

You should now have a list. Click on the little arrow next to applications

Customer:

yes but not iphotos itunes yes but no iphotos

Appleologist :

iphoto does not appear on the list

Appleologist :

?

Appleologist :

Do you have the original disk that came with your disk? The gray one?

Customer:

no my lap top is 8 years old

Customer:

I have told it to instal what ever was on the disc.

Appleologist :

But did you see iphoto on the list when you expanded the applications folder?

Customer:

No

Appleologist :

Ok, lets to another search for iphoto on your computer. If you are still unable to find it, you will need to re-purchase it from the app store

Customer:

I am sorry My son does every thing on my laptop . i just wanted to try and solve this mystery myself

Customer:

i don't think snow leopard was was installed properly as it is whirling and clicking away merrily

Appleologist :

Ok so lets try to search your computer again. If not, you will need to re-install it again

Customer:

ok what next

Appleologist :

Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in iphoto. Does the iphoto application icon appear?

Customer:

no just a list of photos

Appleologist :

Try this. Press and hold down the command key and then click on the iphoto application. Does it open finder with the location?

Customer:

options remove from dock

Appleologist :

Open your finder window again. Click on the applications folder. Manually search for iphoto

Customer:

no it is not there. I think I have to buy it again

Appleologist :

Yes I'm sorry you will need to buy it again. You also double check for the original install disk before you buy it just to make sure

Appleologist :

To purchase it again, open the app store and sign in using your apple Id and password

Customer:

Thank you for your time and patience

Appleologist :

You are very welcome

Customer:

I will admit defeat and ask my son. You have been very kind .Thank you

Appleologist :

No problem. Have an amazing day

Appleologist :

You can now go ahead and rate my service and end the Chat.

Customer:

You too

Appleologist :

Thank you. I will

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.