Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I put 8Gs of ram in my computer and a 2TB hard drive and it

I put 8G's of ram in my computer and a 2TB hard drive and it is running slower than it was before. What is wrong it should be blazing.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is version 10.5.8, the processor is 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon and the memory is 10 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB DIMM

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Click on the first icon in the Dock the "Finder", then click on Go at the top of the screen, you will see a drop down menu, go to Utilities. When that opens double click on the application called Disk Utility. When Disk Utility opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mike I am getting the message that the filessystem verify or repair failed.

Invalid volume file count (718085 instead of 718087) and invalid directory count (171170 instead of (1711680).

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Click on Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is still repairing. Taking a long time.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok hopefully that will work. If so Repair Permissions after that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Repair permissions is complete, been given three warnings... modified and will not be repaired.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK but the Repair Disk was successful?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The repair disk tab wasn't available.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
In that case:

Put the Leopard install disk in and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Repair was successful, I am now repairing permissions.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok after that restart and tell me if there is any change.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I take out the startup disc?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't matter, but you can
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still very slow Mike. I haven't got past the apple and the spinning wheel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The computer was faster before the RAM was added.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey, Mike, what's my next move?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still need your help Mike. All we've done so far has not fixed the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
It didn't work and the expert stopped responding.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Mike was called away so I will pick up.
Can you give the details of the drive you installed?
Did you install a new OS X and migrate your data or did you transfer the data some other way?
WHo made the RAM? I mean where did it come from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Praise The Lord Dan, I am a Christian as well. The hard drive is a 2TB seagate Baracuda, and the RAM is 2 sticks of 4GB from crucial.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Good name for RAM. The drive did replace existing correct?
I am trying to get a handle on this but I think there is info I do not have.
Please start at why you decided to do this and how you proceeded.
Was the Mac running slow or taking a long time to find?
How did you move from one drive to the new?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
needed more space and speed was going to download autocad and REVIT for a construction class. I did not replace the old hard drive but just added another. I had spoke to a few computer techs online and they told me that the speed of computing would be greatly increased. I found this to be totally the opposite.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Normally it does greatly improve performance.
When you installed the drive do you remember the format it had? Was it Mac OS Extended or FAT32?
Do you have any utilities such as Disk Warrior or TechTool Pro?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it was Mac OS extended and no I don't have those utilities.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
What I suggest is installing a new OS X. This will over write what is there but it will not harm any of your data.
This PDF explains the whole process.

Complete Installation

Make sure to do an Archive and Install, not an erase and instal.

You may want to think about updating to Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion.

There is also a firmware update for that machine.

Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.5

It can be upgraded to Mountain Lion from Leopard but some hoops need to be jumped through.

Let me know.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dan, I will try that and get back with you.
Thanks
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I am out for dinner but will be back in an hour or so.
Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. Again thanks.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I had just moved and my internet went out. You are in good hands with Daniel. Sorry about that.