Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

Good evening, I desperately need assistance! My Ipad ( south

Good evening, I desperately need assistance!
My Ipad ( south african user) has frozen and gives me a message that my apad has not been backed up . I cannot get into my ipad and when I plug it into my laptop I still have no idea how to back up. I am told south african users are unable to back up on icloud or something. what do I do ? please help email me pleaseXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. PLEASE
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

From what you are describing, it sounds like your iPad is frozen. To unfreeze your iPad, press and hold both the sleep and home button at the same time for 30 sec or until the apple logo appears. The sleep button is located at the upper right corner and the home button is the round button on the bottom front bezel of your iPad

Full Size Image

Appleologist :

Please let me know if that doesn't work so we can continue troubleshooting

Customer:

Ok now I have the apple thingy so what so I do to back up this contraption that is very possibly going to give me a heart attack!

Appleologist :

Your ipad should boot after the apple logo

Appleologist :

You can either backup your ipad using itunes or you can backup using iCloud

Customer:

ok I am in , so I go to itunes on the ipad or on my computer to back up? its currently connected to my laptop for whatever that is worth.

Appleologist :

When you plug your computer into itunes. Click on your ipad in the left column.

Appleologist :

You should see where it says backups. The easiest way is to back up using icloud. Would you like to backup using icloud

Customer:

the back up now bar is not allowing me to back up its like greyed out.

Appleologist :

is iCloud selected?

Appleologist :

Under automatic backup

Customer:

now I have a apple icon and a loading bar.. does this mean its backing up?

Appleologist :

Is this displaying on your ipad?

Appleologist :

Lets allow it to boot up

Customer:

yes on the ipad ,its almost at the end of the bar that extends across the entire width of the scren...

Appleologist :

Ok let me know when it boots up

Appleologist :

When it boots back up, I will show you how to set up icloud

Customer:

when I go into storage an backup i have icloud backuck on on the bafk up now buton is still greyed out with a message blow saying you must be connected to a wi fi network to start a backup and reads last ckack up never! I am connected to my computer which is connected to the internet via a plug in modem... I wnt into the manage storage thing and it says latest backup incomplete , then bllow it says chose what you want to back up. then at the bottom it has a red bar saying delete backup.

Appleologist :

You will need to turn wifi on your ipad First to backup using icloud. Click on wifi within settings and choose your network

Customer:

when you say chose your network what exactly so you mean. I have a plug in modem on my laptop only is that different to wi fi?

Appleologist :

Do you have wireless internet?

Appleologist :

How to you browser the internet or download apps on your ipad?

Customer:

on the ipad i download with a prepaid chip I have like a mobile number in I Iguess....? on my computer I have a littl contraption that I plug into my laptop like a 3G modem that connects me to the internet if that makes sense

Appleologist :

Open settings and choose wifi

Appleologist :

(on your ipad)

Appleologist :

Is your network name listed in the list

Customer:

says not cnnected and ask to join networks is ON.

Appleologist :

Do you see your network listed on the list

Customer:

no there is something saying wlan ap but it has like a lock nect to it so I suppose its a neighbours??

Appleologist :

No problem. You can backup using itunes.

Appleologist :

Under automatic backup

Appleologist :

Choose this computer instead of icloud

Customer:

and I would find this computer option where exactly

Appleologist :

In the left colum under device, click on your ipad

Appleologist :

Then Click on the summary tab

Appleologist :

Full Size Image

Customer:

ok I am lost! do not see Device on left

Appleologist :

Ok lets start fresh. Is your left tool bar showing?

Full Size Image

Appleologist :

If it is not showing, click on view show sidebar

Customer:

its showing settings with connectivity general etc

Appleologist :

Are you looking on itunes on your computer?

Appleologist :

You should be looking at itunes on your computer

Customer:

on ipad not itunes. sugar should i be itunes from the Ipad?

Appleologist :

No you are in the right place. You should be looking at itunes on your computer

Appleologist :

But you should be looking in the left sidebar column

Appleologist :

It says Library, Store, then DEVICES

Customer:

ok found the library onleft however it does not have library

Appleologist :

Do you see your ipad listed under the device tab?

Customer:

movies music tv shows and home sharing is all it displays

Appleologist :

Ok keep looking down, you should see your ipad listed

Appleologist :

Full Size Image

Appleologist :

Please refer to the illustration

Customer:

all I hafve on my list is

Appleologist :

OK try this. Click on File< then choose devices

Appleologist :

Choose backup now

Customer:

movies , music and tv shows and home share nothing else in drop down

Appleologist :

Click on File< then choose devices

Choose backup now. MAke ure your ipad is still connected to your computer

Appleologist :

Files is in the top menu bar

Customer:

found that ! but there is a bar that says syncing data to owners ipad step 4 of 4??? is that relevant?

Customer:

connected.

Appleologist :

Yes! That means it is backup up and it is on its last step :)

Appleologist :

When it is done backing up, you can disconnect your iPad and resume using it

Customer:

SERIOUSLY? oh my greatness!

Appleologist :

So every time you wish to backup your iPad in the future, simply connect it and choose File<Devices and backup now

Customer:

THANK YOU SO MUCH! if i had not had your assistance this gadget would have had flying lessons into neverland! oh I am so thankfull. I am totally techno phobic ( and stupid) THNK YOU THANK THANK YOU! the best service for blonds EVER !way COOL .

Appleologist :

Awww thank you so much for your kind words. You are sooooo welcome. Enjoy your iPad again

You can now go ahead and rate my service and end the Chat. Enjoy the rest of your day

Customer:

much appreciated. says 8 hours remaining... I guess I go to bed and leave this on tillits done right?

Appleologist :

It will speed up. It should not take the full eight hours it all depends on your internet connection. I see you are in South Africa so it will be a while

Customer:

and you know my rating but there is no smilie face for SUPER GREAT.

Appleologist :

You are too kind

Appleologist :

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX patience throughout

Customer:

Ah yes all in AFRICA time - a while yes -I am going to bed a happy person.

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.