Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Last night I backed up my entire system, cleaned out all the

Last night I backed up my entire system, cleaned out all the system and reinstalled Tiger 10.4. (I have an iMac 5,1 - late 2006). It worked fine except I had a different keyboard set-up and during the boot up process, it stopped on trying to recognize the keyboard. It stated to press the "shift" key but I think I held it down too long. I put the original keyboard on and it is still saying it. I did the quit option but it told me that I need to set-up a password XXXXX I could quit. I didn't complete the quit process because I chickened out.  The problem, it can't get passed the recognizing of the keyboard. HELP! I didn't go through all of this just to get stuck on a keyboard.

Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Ok, you need to start completely over. Shut it down with the power button and then power it back up with the C pressed and the correct keyboard connected.
One thing, do you have a firmware password XXXXX?
If so that can create a problem, fixable but still an issue.