Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

mail keeps quitting mail unexpectedly

Customer Question

hello, my macbook OS X 10.5.8 keeps quitting mail unexpectedly, i cant send emails. It quits all the time.  Database is "corrupt" for a long time, but i cant do anything with it (rebuilt or so).  i keep deleting files to free some space (mac says my disc is full), then i use the "clean my mac " tool to try to be able to send 1 or 2 emails. Then everything starts all over again. i am pretty ignorant on computers, so, dont know  what to do.

Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Can we delete the old Mailbox and create a new one ? This will give you a new Mailbox without any problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did you get my response? i dont know where to check if you got it

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I didn't. Can you send it again ? You can check/refresh this thread to view our responses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. I tried 3 times already. I asked if we delete this mailbox and create a new one, do i lose any data? does this problem on mail has to do with my "database corruption"and also the warnings i get that "my disc is full"?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You will lose all saved/downloaded emails from your Mail when we delete the Mailbox. But if they are on the server, then they will be downloaded back. Database corruption means that the Mailbox is corrupted. So it is better to create a new one, so you don't have any problems in the future.

It seems like your hard drive is full, that is why you are getting the startup disk full message. So you need to delete some big files to free some space. I'll help you with that.

Only rate the answer after we solved the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, so all the messages on my mailbox are imap. This means they are on the server, right? so i will have them all back. How about the files i have on the mailbox, those on the left side? they will also be downloaded back?

the funny thing about my hard drive being full is that i erased almost everything i could (big files), but nothing changes. Maybe i should move some pictures as well. They could be the problem. Thank you so much for help and patience. i am very ignorant about mac, so pls be patient.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Don't worry. I will stay with you until we fix the problem.

Yes, they will be downloaded back if they are on the server. But you should check/confrm they are on the server before deleting the Mailbox. Who is your email provider ? Gmail, Yahoo etc

BTW did you emptied the trash after deleting those files ? You must empty the trash even if you deleted the files to get the space. Let me know..

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Tati, please accept my apologies. It seems like JustAnswer is having some site problems and we couldn't communicate properly. I'm really sorry about that but that is something out of my control.

Okay. First we can reset the old preferences of your Mail and then run some fixes. Close Mail, then goto Macintosh HD/Users/home folder/Library/Preferences/ folder and trash com.apple.mail.plist file.

Then delete some unwanted files from your Mac like Movies, Apps, Musics etc. You can use this utility to find the big files that are using up all your hard drive's space : http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnidisksweeper/

Make sure you empty the trash after deleting the files.

Then download this maintainance application named Onyx : http://www.titanium.free.fr/download/105/OnyX.dmg

Open Onyx. In Onyx, click on Maintenance tab. Select Rebuild tab, check all boxes and then Execute. The under Cleaning select System and User and check all boxes on both and Execute. When it finished, restart your Mac.

Now, goto Applications > Utilities folder. Open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column. Under First Aid tab, click Repair Disk. Then Repair Permission. Make sure the result is green. This will fix most of all corrupted system files and preference files of your Mac.

Then open Mail and if it asked to setup your account, just enter the username and password XXXXX your email account. Then click on Mailbox menu and select Rebuild Mailbox.

If you have any trouble following any of the above steps, please let me know and I will walk you through the steps. Please let me know how it goes...

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ashik, wow, i was trying to acess just answer and yes, there is a problem going on in tour website. I was worried, but now i got it thru with ipad. From my computer, i get gateway timeout. Cants acess the website. Well, i will try to do everything you said on my computer. I tell you tomorrow how it went - is it ok if we do like that? Whe can i get the info if my emails are on the server? Only with the company i work for, once its a corporate email or is there any other placeon my mail that i could have this info? Tks in advance.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Tati, I was completely blocked out. I couldn't get back to you until now. It seems like the server was completely down. Not sure what happened. I'm sorry for the delay. What is the address that comes after the @ address of your email ? like @gmail.com, @something.com etc ?

Of course you can let me know later. Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me any time you want.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Tati, there should be a way to access your email through your internet browser. For eg, to access Gmail from your browser, you can goto www.gmail.com

So to access the email from the browser, there should be a address. If your company is using private email, then you should ask what is the address to access the webmail. Can you ask your company about that ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello Ashik, i just got back to finish everything you told me to. Yes, i already asked the company, i am waiting for their response.

I went to the link of Omni group, for the disk sweeper, but before i downloaded i saw they require MAC OXS 10.6.8 or later versions. Mine is 10.5.8. Should i try anyway?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, No, that won't work since it is for 10.6 or later. Try this one : http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14393/disk-inventory-x

That application will give you an overview of what is using up all your spaces. So you will get a idea about what to do delete.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Tati, what is the address that comes after the @ of your email ? So I will check the server for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

oscarono.com

I just sent an answer to you, but i cant see it here. So , lets try again: i downloaded the macupdate, but its very difficult for me to understand what i could eventually delete and what i cannot. For example, preview.app document, 58,8GB. Can i delete this? Then, CRAW2 (what is that?). The rest i am in doubt what they mean and i prefer not to delete. Yesterday i deleted some big things directly from finder, like garage band and others. It took hours. I think i deletes 16.000 files. This should help.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Could you please tell me the exact name of the document or app that is taking the 58 GB ?

Did you emptied the trash after deleting those files ? How much space is left on your Mac ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can i attach a print screen to show you what about this treemap that i see the 58,8Gb?

yes, i emptied the trash after deleting.

sorry to ask, but where can i see about the free space left?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sure. Press Command(Apple) + Shift + 3. This should create a screenshot of your Mac into desktop. Then upload that screenshot into www.wikisend.com website and give me the download links pr File ID that you get after uploading it

Select your hard disk in the desktop or in Finder, and press Command + I

This will bring the Get Info window. You can find the Available and Total Space there.

Another way to find is, goto Apple menu and select About This Mac. Click More Info. This will open System Profiler. Select your hard disk in the left column (SATA Disk). You can find the details in there.

Sorry, I missed on of your question before,
CRAW2 (what is that?)

CRAW, I believe it is the Canon RAW images or data file. Do you have any camera that you download photos to your Mac ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
If Disk Inventory X is confusing for you, then try this alternative : http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/20598/jdiskreport
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

http://wikisend.com/download/161066/Picture 4.png

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I think they are the pictures. Do you have that much of Pictures on your Mac ? Thousands of pictures ?

How much space is available on your Mac ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, i have many pictures. Cant delete them! maybe i should put pictures on icloud? i dont know how it works, but i will try. Where can i check the free space?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
For iCloud, you need to upgrade the OS X to 10.7 Lion or later. Why don't you buy an external hard drive and put the pictures on it ?

Select your hard disk in the desktop or in Finder, and press Command + I on keyboard. This will bring the Get Info window. You can find the Available and Total Space there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

THANKS!

capacity: 148,73 GB

available: 158,8 MB

used: 148,58 GB on disk

maybe what i deleted yesterday is enough to go on with solving the problem with Mailbox?

i will definately put the pictures on an external drive, which i already have.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No, You don't even have 1GB (Gigabyte). You only have 158MB (Megabytes). 1 GB = 1024MB which is not enough to solve the problem.

It seems like you didn't delete much. You need have atleast 5GB free for the proper working of your Mac. I want you to delete some stuffs ASAP because you are very low on disk space and your Mac will probably crash soon.

Are the photos are stored on the iPhoto application ? If so, there is a proper way to move them. Let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

oh god, ok. i have pictures on iphoto and also on a folder on Documents.

i dont know how to use iphotos, so i always put pictures on Documents, on a folder only for pictures.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Then copy that pictures folder to your external hard drive. After copying them, delete the pictures from the internal hard disk to free internal HD. Make sure the pictures are successfully copied to the external hard drive before deleting them from your Mac. I'd recommend to backup the pictures to two external hard drives. Spinning at 7200 rpm, we don't know when they will fail. You can't trust the hard drives. So it is always good to have double backups.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

will do it right now on my "Elements"WD external drive. The Mac asks me: "You may need to enter the name and password XXXXX an administrator on this computer to replace the older item named "personal" (where my photos are) in this location. Do you wnat to replace it with the newer one you're moving? "

Do i press replace?

Ashik, dont worry, i will pay you as soon as we are finished, ok?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Do you have anything that you needed on the external hard drive ? If not, go ahead and hit replace. If yes, open the external hard drive and see if you have anything needed on the external hard drive. Check the Personal folder on the external hard drive. Or just create a new folder named My Photos or Backup or anything and copy your photos to that folder.

No worries Tati. Payment is not a problem. You only need to pay after we solved the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ashik, thank you so much. Its copying, it will take 4 hours. I will get back to you when this is finished, ok?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Of course it is Ok. Take all the time you need. Good Luck with that Tati.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tati, Just checking out, how is it going ?

Tati make sure to run the maintainances with Onyx after copying the photos to the external drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, will do it. I am out of office right now, but as soon as i come back i will delete files to free space and then run onyx. I already backed up into 2 external drives. That is done. Tks, talk to you later
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ok we can talk later. Have a great day,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hey Ashik, i am back. I copied all photos to external drives. Actually i wont be able to run Onyx because my OSX is 10.5.8 and they require 10.6.8 (i forgot that). SO i will run now the other one you suggested.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You need to download Onyx version 2.0.6 which is for 10.5 Leopard. You can get it from here : http://www.titanium.free.fr/download/105/OnyX.dmg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dont worry, i will rate you very positively. Should I rate you now before we finish or not? if i rate you now, does just answer understand that as finished?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No, only rate me after we've solved the problem. It seems like I forgot to turn off my signature (i.e ask to rate.....) on my previous answer. Only rate me when we are finished.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ashik, so far so good. Onyx done, now i just asked for repair disk permissions. You said i should make sure the result is green. I see nothing green, but the permissions repair is complete. Do i click now on veriify disk?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, click Verify Disk. If asked to Repair, then hit Repair Disk. I meant make sure there is no errors when it is completed.

Let me know how it ges..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No good news: after verify disk, the following window appeared: first aid failed. Disk utility stopped verifying ";" because the following error was encountered: filesystem verify or repair failed.

On the window of first aid its written in red: invalid volume directory count. The volume ";" needs to be repaired. Error: filesystem verify or repair failed.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
It seems like system files are corrupted. To fix that, do you have the Mac OS X installation discs ?

Now, Backup all your important files to your external hard drive. Then pen Mail and see if that works or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good question. I will have to look for the disks. I already backed up everything on my documents and desktop. Is the any other place that i should go to back up?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No, all others are system files and applications. Make sure you have all the important files on the external hard drive. Now, open Mail and see if that works or not. Let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, its like a reboot happened to mail. I have to putall info again, and i dont have my password. The company will send me tomorrow morning. Sorry!!!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
We've trashed the old preference file of Mail, that is why it is asking for password. Nothing from the Mail will be deleted though. All you have to do is, enter the password XXXXX and the connection will be reestablised. It is possible to get the password XXXXX the Keychain Access application. Goto Applications > Utilities folder and open Keychain Access. In Keychain Access, select All Items in left. If you can see Mail or your account, double click on it and click Show Password XXXXX If you can't find there, then just ignore it. When you get the password, just enter it on your Mail and it should work. Please let me know how it went out.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cant get it. When i click show password, it opens a window: keychain acess wants to use your confidential information stored in "smtp.oscarono.com" in your keychain.
To allow this, enter the login keychain password.
Then, besides the blank space for me to put the password, there are 3 buttons: always allow, deny, allow.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Put it in your Administrator or login password XXXXX user account password, the password XXXXX your Mac and click Allow. It is asking for the password XXXXX your Mac, that is the password XXXXX use to install applications, udpate applications etc of your Mac. Did that work ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeeeeees! Got the password, but when i use it mail is rejecting it . I tried 2 possible passwords both for this email account. Any idea?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure the password XXXXX XXXXX ? Can you confirm it with your company ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will confirm it tomorrow, they are closed now . Weird, cause when i saw the passwords i instantly remembered them.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
It should've worked if it is the correct password. We can continue tomorrow. Meantime, check for the OS X discs. When you get the disc, put the Mac OS X Disc 1 to your Mac. Restart and hold down C key on your keyboard and it should boot into the installation screen. Then click on Utilities menu and select Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, Repair Permission again and then Repair Disks.

It is very late in here, almost 4 AM, IST and need to get some sleep. Can we talk tomorrow ?

Just reply back here when you get the password XXXXX I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh my god, sosorry, its 4am fodr you, pls go to sleep. Where are you .? For sure we continue tomorrow, sorry. Good night
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Its Ok. I'm from India and its 4 AM here. I will get back to you tomorrow. Have a great day Tati
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow! Pls go to sleep. Its still 8pm here in sao paulo, brazil. Talk to u tomorrow!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Thank you my friend. Good Night to you too :)

I'm signing off now
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tati, I'm back. Let me know when you are online
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ashik, i will be in the office in 1 hour. My emails are all there! All downloaded and i already saw another window saying my disk is almost full. I am still deleting pictures. As soon as - get there i will continue to delete and look for the cds/discs that came with my mac. Will let you know about it! Tks
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tati, How much space is available on your Mac now ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi ashik, culdnt reply you before, sorry. I deleted almost all pictures. Available capacity now is 15,54 GB. Good enough???

i dont have my discs (that came with my Mac) yet.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Yes, that is enough. Now try Mail. Any errors ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Tati, since you don't have the discs you can buy the 10.6 Snow Leopard disc (for $29) and upgrade your OS X 10.5 to 10.6 Snow Leopard. What you think ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good idea - can i buy that online at apple? do you know something about it?

I think we are almost ready, right? I will look for the discs, if i dont find, then i buy online and make the upgrade. When i buy, i just have to run the discs or is it something more difficult to upgrade?

should i run this Onyx from time to time?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can buy it from Apple. It is actually $19.99

You can buy it from eBay too. Make sure you buy the 10.6 Snow Leopard Retail Discs.

Here is the requirements for Snow Leopard : http://support.apple.com/kb/sp575

Upgrading is easy. When you get the 10.6 discs, just put it on your Mac and follow the onscreen instructions to upgrade. Make sure you have the backup of your files before upgrading.

If everything is working including Mail, then you are good to go. Yes, run Onyx atleast twice per month. It is the best maintainance application out there.

Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me any time you want.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, great. This was going to be my next question: i wanted to have all these great info that we exchanged over the past days for me to consult as many times as i need. After we finish here, when i add a bookmark, i can always come back and acess our chat?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, even after rating me we can continue our conversation at any time you want. You own this question and this question will remain open until you wish to cancel or close this question. Make sure you keep the bookmark of this page.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

great! Ashik, THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH for your unbelievable help and patience. I will tell lots of friends about you and Just Answer.

and i am sorry again for making you be up until 4am, but i really didnt realize that. have a great weekend!

best,

tatiana

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome Tati and thank you very much to you too :)

I really enjoyed working with you Tati and its my pleasure to help you. If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask me. Have a great weekend to you tooSmile

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Tati, forgot to tell. If you get the 10.5 Leopard discs, then you can do a Archive and Install with it (reinstall your OS X). Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system files with new one. It is same as reinstalling the OS X.

Archive and Install, see here : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1710

You can rate me now Tati. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much Tati for rating me as Excellent and the unexpected bonus. I really appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you deserve it. Thanks a lot! ;-)

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Thank You :)
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tati,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ashik, i still didnt buy the OS 10.6.8. Mail is working properly. The only thing is that my office package, when i open word, powerpoint or excel, keeps saying that MY DATABASE UTILITY is corrupted (or something else, i will print screen it tomorrow and send it to you).

Do i need to reinstall these guys as well?

Talk to you tomorrow, too late now!

tati

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tati, Yes, just reinstall Office from the discs and it should fix the problem. Please let me know how it goes Tati.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

will do! i am very busy these days, but will do! ;-) tks, tati

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ok Tati. Take Care,