James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert

I have a 15" Macbook Pro laptop I purchased in late 2010.

I have a 15" Macbook Pro laptop I purchased in late 2010. What do you recommend for back-up? Also, is it a good idea to use security software, like Norton, on the Macs?

Hi, I will assist,

Yes, Norton backup is good, but only if you use Norton security, then I suggest to use Norton 360 product as it includes both security and backup:

If you do not want to use Norton security feature, but only want to use backup feature, then I suggest:

There is a good free backup service called Dropbox; it lets you back up to 2GB capacity for free. You can pay for more backup.

If you have more data to backup, a better priced option is Mozy backup:

More details:

Please reply if you have any further question. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is helpful and I can use Norton on my Mac. I was wondering if a separate hard drive would be as good as the online backup services. Also, I thought Apple computers might have specific backups they recommend, i.e., iCloud and/or Time Machine, or hard drive backups specifically made for Macs. Your information is helpful and I will rate it an OK. I would have liked a bit more specific Apple information/instruction.

I'll do my best to answer all your questions, please let me know if I missed anything.

1. A separate hard drive is the best option for backup. You can use a USB external hard drive, or a network drive (they are sold in any computer store). You can then enable the Apple Time Machine facility to do backups on the drive.

2. You cannot backup your Mac to iCloud. iCloud can only backup iphones, ipods, ipads. This is due to the limited amount of storage Apple offers for iCloud backup. Your best option is using the Apple Time Machine.

I'm providing you will an article with the full details:

I'd appreciate it if you can rate me using the faces below - thanks!

James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience: Mac Expert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, James. Your answers addressed my concerns and provided me with substantial tools to take care of the issues with my Apple product. I appreciate that!

Very glad I could help!

Can you please click one of the faces under my answer to rate me?

Thanks so much!