iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
28671728

Had to rebuild my MS Outlook for MAC OS X

Customer Question

How do I restore my Outlook for MAC 2011 emails, calendar, notes etc without an OLN exported file?

Category: Mac
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

have you tried these steps for rebuilding the outlook database in 2011

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2360509

If those are the ones you are following please tell me exactly where it is going wrong ie it does not find any identities etc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I did -- The identity rebuilt but folders, notes, messages are not there.

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

yes I think that you may have to sort those back out again.

Did you get all of the messages in one folder or are you totally missing the messages that were in all but the inbox ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am missing everything.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

And inbox messages are all gone.

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
did you set the new identity as the default in the last step ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes and I'm sure it;s not the backup one that was created.

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

You got the rebuild successful message ?

If you go back to the database manager does it show more than one identity ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It shows

NEW IDentity

Main Identity

Main Identity (backed up)

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
try setting each of them to the default and see what shows up for any of them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried all and no luck.....everything is gone.

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

what happened that caused you to rebuild it?

have you got any backups like time machine ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I shut down my computer and restarted and turned on Outlook and nothing was there. Microsoft database led me to rebuild.

Unfortunately, no backup. Big mistake on my part as I haven't had a chance to buy a time capsule and set everything up.

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

i am sorry I am going to opt out here. Its late and I am heading off for the evening and honestly at the moment I cant think of much to do. There are just limited options on the mac.

If somebody else here has some ideas that I cant think they will pick up the question or if I think of something tomorrow I will post back in.

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you right away with your Email issue, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Lindie
Expert:  iteachmac replied 1 year ago.
Welcome ,I will give a full and clear answer to your question, please make sure to reply to any questions I have. They may be essential to my reply.

Hi the best way to rebuild your MS data would be using a tool to generate a new file/s.

http://www.weirdkid.com/products/emailchemy/

Emailchemy , will collect all data from your MS folder and make new .mbox folders
or other options as you may need .

Depending on the size of your Ms folder , the job can take a while in to many hours just let it work , if you have more than one identity it will remake new .mbox files as needed .

Also please make sure you have enough free space on your Mac HD or Hard disk to handel the jobs needed .

If your MS folder is 20GB , you'd need at least 40GB of free space to complete the job without fault. Always keep 20GB free on the Mac HD as a bare min .

I hope this helps , If you get stuck please let me know .