Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

How can I burn a CD on my MacBook Pro? I cant figure it out.

How can I burn a CD on my MacBook Pro? I can't figure it out. Please give step by step directions. Thank you. Martha
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you with your issue, I will need additional information. Are you looking to burn music, documents or a video?

Customer:

I want to burn music for my choral group.

Appleologist :

Ok thanks for the additional information. Are all of the songs you wish to burn in itunes?

Customer:

No, some of them are, but I am having trouble getting them from the site I use, which is Pepper Music to itunes so I bookmarked each song and it's there on my computer as a bookmarked page. Sorry. I'm not very good at this.

Appleologist :

Its ok I will walk you through. When you use pepper music, how does the downloading process work?

Customer:

I just go to the Pepper Music site and tell the computer to bookmark that page where the song can be played as many times as you wish. I find the correct song on the site, play it, and bookmark it. It's all I know how to do to save it on my computer.

Appleologist :

Ok so that does not actually save the song into itunes does it? You mentioned that you have some songs in itunes right now. How are you getting them into itunes?

Customer:

I don't know how I did it on itunes, but I think I opened itunes and played the song. Then sometimes, it wasn't there when I did that so I turned to bookmarking.

Appleologist :

In order to burn songs onto a CD, they will need to be in itunes first. Can you open itunes and see if some of the songs are still there?

Customer:

Yes, they are still there.

Appleologist :

Are they all there?

Customer:

No, the rest are on the bookXXXXX XXXXXst.

Appleologist :

Do you remember how you downloaded them into itunes?

Customer:

If I just had the process to burn from Itunes or bookmark, I think I could do it.

Customer:

No, I don't remember how it happened.

Customer:

I think I need to come in to the store for help!

Appleologist :

I can most certainly walk you through how to burn in itunes. However there are still songs on the site that you need in itunes correct?

Customer:

Are you sure that this model of computer is able to burn CD's?

Appleologist :

If you have a macbook pro, it will burn disk

Customer:

Yes, but I can experiment with getting them all on itunes later if I just know how to burn them once they are all there.

Appleologist :

Ok good. Is the blank disk currently inside your computer?

Customer:

Yes, correct.

Appleologist :

The first thing you will need to to is to create a playlist of all the songs you wish to burn. Have you done that yet?

Customer:

I don't know how to create a playlist. I've never done it.

Appleologist :

Sure, I will walk you through. In itunes, click on File from the top menu bar. Choose New and then choose new playlist

Customer:

I do have a list of all the things on itunes right there.

Appleologist :

They will need to be in a playlist first.

Customer:

You mean I should cover this screen I'm looking at by opening itunes?

Appleologist :

You can have both windows open. you will need to float back and fourth. Or you can move the itunes window to the side of your safari window so you can see both

Customer:

Ok.

Appleologist :

Let me know when you have created a new playlisy

Appleologist :

playlist

Customer:

I have a blank page that says "playlist"

Customer:

playlist, zero items

Appleologist :

Ok now in the left column under Library, click on music. This wil show all of your songs again. You will need to drag all the songs you would like to burn and place them in to the empty playlist

Customer:

Sorry, only one of the songs I need is on itunes. I opened the bookmark page where the rest of them are and can't figure out how to move them to itunes.

Appleologist :

What is the websites url?

Customer:

Sorry. I don't know what you mean.

Customer:

The Pepper Website?

Appleologist :

When i google pepper website, I get a lot of choices. www.??

Customer:

I could just learn to burn the one song and try to figure out the others later?

Customer:

Yes, I have to select which song I am using.

Appleologist :

In itunes, you can just drag any songs you wish for demo purposes

Customer:

Pepper music is where I buy these songs and they are public domain.

Appleologist :

Is it www.Jwpepper.com?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

or "Pepper Music"

Appleologist :

Ok, would you like me to see if I can assist in getting them into itunes or would you just want to focus on how to burn?

Customer:

Then, I select in their choice bar, "Gershwin Jazz Trio" for example.

Customer:

Just focus on how to burn please

Appleologist :

Ok no problem. Go ahead and drag some songs into the playlist that you just created

Customer:

Ok. I did that.

Appleologist :

When they are in the playlist, you have two options. You can right click on the playlist and choose Burn to disk

Appleologist :

Full Size Image

Appleologist :

Or you can click on the little gear at the bottom and choose burn playlist to disk

Full Size Image

Appleologist :

You do not have to choose burn at this moment until you are ready to burn (unless you have blank disk to use to test it with)

Customer:

Sorry I haven't figured out why when I right click on the playlist nothing comes up and says "burn to disk"

Appleologist :

Do you see this gear at the bottom of your playlist

Customer:

Yes, the blank disk is in the drive and I am ready to burn.

Customer:

No, there is no gear at the bottom of the playlist

Appleologist :

You may have an older version of itunes. In the bottom right corner, do you see a burn symbol

Full Size Image

Appleologist :

Full Size Image

Appleologist :

If for some reason you are still unable to find it. You can can go File<Burn disk to playlist

Customer:

I found the burn gear

Customer:

Now itunes has quit unexpectedly. Great

Appleologist :

Its ok, go head and re-open it

Appleologist :

Try to to burn it again using File<Burn disk to playlist

Customer:

Ok. Everytime I click on "burn to disc" itunes quits!

Appleologist :

even from File<Burn disk to playlist?

Customer:

I'll try again

Appleologist :

You may need an update. Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose software updates. which updates are available?

Customer:

Yes, it will not even burn from "file"

Appleologist :

Ok lets check for updates

Customer:

I know the disc I entered in the drive is new and is for music

Customer:

What updates might I need?

Appleologist :

An itunes or a system update. Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose software updates. Allow it to check for updates. which updates are available?

Customer:

This version is 11.0.2

Customer:

Now I will check for updates

Customer:

Fine, now "software updates" quits on me!

Appleologist :

Ok

Appleologist :

It sounds like you have other issues going on

Customer:

I don't know. I tried again for software updates and it crashes

Appleologist :

Try to open system preferences. click on the apple logo and choose system preferences

Customer:

What could this be?

Customer:

Even that just crashed!

Appleologist :

Is there another computer or device you are able to chat from?

Customer:

No, my old computer is not plugged in and has limited ability also.

Appleologist :

Ok, try to restart your computer. So you can resume our chat, bookmark this page

Customer:

I am so disappointed in this MacBook Pro as it isn't as easy as people say it would be to operate.

Appleologist :

How long have you had it?

Customer:

About two years or so. My son got it for me on my birthday and I was not able to do the workshops. Now I am truly sorry for that!

Customer:

I will restart and have bookmarked the page.

Appleologist :

Ok, when it reboots try to see if it will burn without crashing

Customer:

Yes,! it burned a sample disc, but my songs are still on the bookmarked pages and I can't move them onto the playlist.

Appleologist :

Ok so we fixed one issue. On to the next. As mentioned earlier, I am not familiar with this site. Would you like me to quickly research how to get the songs from the site?

Customer:

Ok. I did that by getting the "Alfred Music Player" onto my screen now. How that goes onto the playlist, I'll never know!

Appleologist :

It looks like you will need to purchase them first. Is that correct

Customer:

I already did purchase them all. I just want to use them to teach the choral group how to sing them.

Customer:

Educational purpose is ok.

Appleologist :

Ok so they are in Alfred Music Player?

Customer:

Yes the first song under "Gershwin Jazz Trio" is one that I need.

Customer:

It's a red cover that says, "SATB"

Customer:

I have the music player on my screen. I have played it 20 times but can't figure out how to get it on my playlist to burn.

Appleologist :

Ok give me some time to look this up for you

Appleologist :

Just to clarify, the songs are currently saved to alfred music player and not the pepper site correct?

Customer:

Ok. Thanks

Customer:

No, you have to go "Pepper Music" choose "Sheet music store" choose

Customer:

Gershwin Jazz Trio

Customer:

Choose first song, " Gershwin Jazz Trio" red cover SATB

Customer:

all depend upon gettting Pepper Music Sheet Music first

Appleologist :

Can you please give me the address to the pepper site you are using. It starts with www.

Customer:

No, I go to Firefox.

Customer:

Then to "Pepper Music"

Customer:

Then choose Pepper Music Sheet Music Store

Customer:

Then type in Gershwin Jazz Trio

Customer:

That's how I do it.

Appleologist :

Does it look like this

Full Size Image

Customer:

Yes, but you need to go on

Customer:

Type in Gershwin Jazz Trio

Customer:

Cover is red

Appleologist :

I found that. Im am now looking to see the process of downloading it

Customer:

Go to the blue writing that says, "listen" to get the song to play

Customer:

Maybe we don't need the song to play?

Customer:

After you click "listen" the Alfred player comes up and you can hear it.

Appleologist :

Yes but I did not buy the song so I can not download it to itunes. Can you view a list of your purchased songs?

Customer:

Holy cow! They never asked me if I bought it when first I heard it.

Appleologist :

According to this site, it will only allow you to listen to it. If you would like that song, you will need to purchase it

Appleologist :

according to the site, they ship physical cds?

Customer:

I did purchase it, but I downloaded the song, somehow a while back I did it by accident as it is now in itunes.

Customer:

I just burned that one song on the CD that I downloaded.

Appleologist :

Do you think it is possible that you downloaded it from itunes?

Customer:

No, the only source for that choral arrangement is Pepper Music

Customer:

so it had to be from their site

Customer:

How do people download songs from other sites?

Appleologist :

People actually download their songs from itunes. It is the number one music source. Others use site to just listed to music if they do not want to buy them

Appleologist :

Whats the name of the song that is currently in itunes?

Customer:

I couldn't have gotten it on itunes.

Customer:

Song is called" Doctor Jazz" that I got from Pepper

Customer:

Somehow I played the song on the Alfred Music Player that they provide and then maybe recorded it somehow on itunes

Customer:

Could I have recorded it on "Garage Band" and then somehow put it on itunes?

Customer:

Is that possible?

Customer:

Maybe I should try that?

Customer:

I'm just trying to think of how I got Dr. Jazz on itunes.

Appleologist :

That is a possibility but highly unlikely. It take some memorable steps to do that and I am sure you would remember that. Do you know how you recorded it into garageband

Appleologist :

Do you have that song on a disk too?

Customer:

No, I don't remember the steps, if I did it that way.

Customer:

Now I have that song on the CD I just burned. (Doctor Jazz)

Appleologist :

Ok. I am still looking into it. I found instructions on mp3 files. I am currently going over them

Customer:

Good!

Customer:

Ok. Soon I have to leave. What should I do?

Customer:

Maybe I should try to come into the Naperville store, but chose to do this as I am disabled and it's harder to go there.

Appleologist :

I think your best option is to actually call JW Pepper to see if they can walk you through with how to download songs into itunes. I was able to help you with your burning disk from itunes because it was a Mac issue. I did try my best to assist you further with JW Pepper but it is outside my expertise. Here is the direct number to JW pepper. 1-800-345-6296 According to their site, they are closed on Sundays. Its is your best option. If you go to the naperville store, I doubt they will be able to help since it is not an Apple related issue

Appleologist :

And here is the number to alfred music player just in case you need that one too 818-892-2452

Customer:

Do you mean that they can't show me how to download a song from the Pepper site, or any site that has a song I would need for the group?

Customer:

I guess you mean that everything has to be on the itunes list and that isn't complete enough for educational group purposes. That music is just songs for people that are in the pop genre.

Appleologist :

itunes has music for different genre and not only pop.

Appleologist :

Did you try to see if there were other songs that are available in itunes

Appleologist :

What is the name of the artist you wish to listen to?

Customer:

This choral music is a specific kind of thing, composed for four part singing and I'm sure that the music I bought from them is never going to be on itunes.

Customer:

Their is no "artist" as the artist who will perform it is my own singing group.

Appleologist :

Ok I understand. If you click on the account tap in the upper right corner with pepper, what is displayed'

Appleologist :

If you click on My account, choose my downloads

Appleologist :

What is listed in your accounts tab

Customer:

Sorry, I went to Pepper site and lost you for a minute

Customer:

I couldn't see any "accounts tab"

Customer:

It just said, "Welcome Martha"

Customer:

No other data but I will look again

Appleologist :

Next to music list there is an accounts tab

Full Size Image

Customer:

Ok. account inquiry. I'll do that now again

Appleologist :

Choose my downloads

Customer:

Ok. I just buy the music for the Wheaton Park District, who pays for what I buy. I don't see my account there.

Customer:

I will try it under their name

Appleologist :

ok

Customer:

Nope. I don't have their password! This is crazy.

Appleologist :

Is it possible that all of the music is in their account?

Customer:

Never mind. I will just try the experimentation I had been doing and hope I can get the other songs on the playlist, but you did help me figure out how the burner works. If once I could make the playlist work, it would be great.

Customer:

Yes, it is in their account. It's for the group I direct that they sponsor.

Customer:

Thank you so much for the help you gave.

Appleologist :

You are very welcome. Best of luck with the Pepper downloaded. I highly recommend reaching out to them of th sponsor so you know where the actual download music is

Customer:

Ok. I will also try to call the numbers you gave me.

Appleologist :

Sounds like a plan. Enjoy the rest of your evening

Customer:

Thank you.

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.