Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a MacBok Air which has thousands of photos in I-Photo.

I have a MacBok Air which has thousands of photos in I-Photo. How many will it safely hold?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

iPhoto can manage upto 250,000 Photos and Videos. But the iPhoto will start to slow down when the number of photos increases.

If you have a lot of photos, then I'd recommend to split down the iPhoto Library into multiple libraries, like based on Year, Category etc so you don't get a huge (and eventually) slow library.

You can use this third party application to manage, organize, split etc your iPhoto Library : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

I'd also recommend to back up your iPhoto Library to an external hard drive using Time Machine application.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

First, it seemed like a very long wait, and I am afraid I was charged twice, because I did not get my answer until I put my security code in the second time., I would like some assurance that that did not happen, since this is the first time I have used your service.

Your answer is greatly reassuring. I have about 7,000 photos stored, and the majority are in albums, and labeled events, etc. I have much to learn about I-photo and love working with it. So I am glad to know about your excellent knowledge and service.

So you think for now I am safe with 7,000 until I can transfer to other storage? I do not know how to use Time Machine.

Sally, I've no control over your account so I can't check whether you got charged twice or not. But if you got charged twice, you can contact the Customer Support at [email protected] for refund and they will refund your account

Yes Sally. Buy a external hard drive for your Mac and connect it to your Mac. Then goto Applications folder and open Time Machine application. Turn it on and follow the onscreen instructions. See instructions here : http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427

You can also backup your iPhoto Library manually (without Time Machine). The iPhoto Library is stored in your Pictures folder (in your home folder). You can copy that iPhoto Library to your external hard drive manually . Let me know if you need help with that.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask as I'm always glad to help you.

Best Regards,

No Worries Sally. You are safe with your iPhoto Library. You are not even close to the limit. But I'd strongly recommend to backup your iPhoto Library even if you got only less photos. So incase if anything happend like, if your Library is corrupted, you can easily restore your library back from the backup.

Best Regards,
Hi Sally,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,