Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products

I have an iPad and went through the instructions here (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1212)

Customer Question

I have an iPad and went through the instructions here (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1212) to restore my iPad using itunes. 1/3rd of the way through the process, I get a message saying the iPad cannot be restored without the passcode. I am trying to get to the point where I can actually enter a passcode. I am not getting there yet. Please help!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Don't worry. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

I am not sure whether you have tried the recovery mode technique. So lets try that.

Open iTunes in the computer and connect the iPad. Now, on the iPad, press and hold the power button and the home button together until you see an apple logo. The very moment you see the apple, let go off the power button, but keep on holding the home button for another 10-15 sec: your computer would now give a message that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode and needs a restore.

Try a restore now. After the restore, select the option "set up as new".
Let me know if you still find any difficulty.

Thank you
Vinod
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did try that several times and it did not work. When I get 1/3rd of the way through, I am getting a message telling me that the iPad cannot be restored without a passcode. Attached is a screenshot of what I am seeing now.

AshiPad error message

What do you see on the iPad screen? Is it the same disabled message OR is it showing a USB cable and an iTunes logo?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is showing the message "iPad is disabled, Connect to iTunes".

I don't think it is still in recovery mode. In recovery mode, your iPad screen will show a USB cable and an iTunes logo.

Since the iPad is still not in recovery mode, that is the reason you are still being asked for a password.

It might take several steps to get the iPad into recovery mode. Lets try it once again. Connect the iPad to the computer. Now, on the iPad, press and hold the power button and the home button together until it turns off. The very moment it turns off, let go off the power button, but keep on holding the home button for another 10-15 sec.

Does your computer now give a message that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode? Or does the iPad screen still shows the disabled message?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Trying it now

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here is the message I am getting now

"iTunes has detected an iPad in recovery mode. You must restore this iPad before it can be used with iTunes."

let's try the restore now..let's see whether it asks for a password XXXXX
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got this message (attached screen shot) and I am going to click restore and update.

yes go ahead with the restore. Unfortunately, that is our only choice and you would need to set it up as a new ipad. Don't worry, we can always get your itunes purchases back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

same problem. At ~ the 69th minute, I am getting a "iPad is disabled, connect to itunes message" and I am attaching a screen shot of the error message I am getting which is similar to the message I received previously.

Do you have a different computer to try with?

If not, is your present computer a windows xp/vista/7 or a Mac?

Also, is your ipad linked to icloud?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am on a Macbook pro (latest version). I do have an iCloud. Right now I am trying to fix my Dad's iPad. I am not sure if his iPad is linked to iCloud. Mine is.

If you have a different computer, let's try the restore from that computer. Also, try with a different USB cable, if you have one.

If not, let's connect the ipad to a different USB port and then try the restore in recovery mode.

If that too does not work, let's try placing the ipad into DFU mode and then try the restore. Open itunes in the computer and connect the ipad. Now, on the ipad, press and hold the power button and the home button together for EXACTLY 8 Seconds.

After 8 seconds, let go off the power button, but keep on holding the home button for another 10-15 sec until your computer gives a message that it is in recovery mode.

Note that in DFU mode, the ipad screen will remain black.

Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I am unable to get to the DFU mode. Still having troubles. I am constantly getting the "iPad is disabled message". I am wondering if I should try using another machine. I will try switching cables as well.

yes, let's try using a different computer and also try different cables...I believe the USB connection is getting dropped often.. Try a different USB port too.

This is how the ipad screen will look like when in recovery mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5yEyogu2K4

Here's how you can place it into DFU mode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTg9S_3eO2I

Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience: worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I changed the USB cable and the DFU mode seems to working thus far. Screen shot of what I am seeing. I will update you when it is done.

Lets hope for the best...:)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

getting close. 9 minutes to go.

fingers crossed.....good luck...:)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

worked fine. many thanks for your help.

great to know that, Ash...:)

Have a wonderful day!

If we are done, I would appreciate if you can rate my service..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will do, shortly.

no problem, take your time.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry for asking, but where do I go to rate you?

you would have got some smileys along with my previous answers. Let me know if you are not able to find that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

found it an done

got it!

Thank you very much..:)