Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

how do I install ipod nano (generation 4)

Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Instal where? Can you be more specific?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

install ipod nano (generation 4) on my PC Windows 7--I need to install iTunes first I assume.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you do. Get it here.

Follow what ever it tells you to do.
Then just plug the iPod into the computer using the supplied cable, open iTunes and give it a few seconds. Your iPod will appear under Devices on the left side.
graphic
Then once you click that once to highlight it will show you the Summary Page.
graphic
The above are examples only, yours will be similar.

Select how and what to sync after you set your iPod up as a new device.
It will walk you through the steps, just read everything carefully.

This webpage will help you get the most from iTunes.

Does that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my device never appeared on the left-hand side such as in the illustration for me to name it "Betsy's Ipod" or similar. I did load 20 songs from a CD with my cable connected to the computer but now I don't know where to sync them or put them.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
In View (for Windows it may be called something different) click Show side bar.
graphic
Then it will appear. Take your time exploring iTunes to see where the different controls are.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think I just need to start over completely. Now my Ipod is all messed up and I have lost about 40 albums on it. My Ipod Nano (generation 4) is not made for all the updates that iTunes has made and I just want to know how to install or get Ipod Nano from iTunes. Do you think it would be best to start over entirely and uninstall iTunes again from my computer which is a PC Windows 7. Also I could never find the "tools" on Internet Explorer.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
When you installed iTunes it should have asked if you wanted it to find and import music found on your computer. What did you do when that happened?
You say that you lost your music from your iPod, have yo synced it with another computer?
When iTunes runs updates it and installs new iPod software it makes a backup of what the iPod has on it unless all content was erased when you told it to setup as new.
That is why I asked you to be specific.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did not see the question if I wanted iTunes to find and inport music found on my computer. It's because I have no music on my computer except one song I bought from Apple--Taylor Swift.

I have no other computer to sync with.

If ITunes runs updates and installs new software, where would the backup of what the ipod had on it be?? I never asked iTunes or you to setup as new..I just wanted to be able to get my albums onto my Ipod Nano via my pc.

I

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
iTunes is how it is done, that is why I wanted you to read and look at everything.
This Apple article explains how to install from IE.

If you cannot see your iPod then try the things found here.

You say about 40 albums have gone missing, the only way they could be on the iPod is if it was synced through iTunes on a computer.
If you click on the iPod icon in the Device list it should expand and show you the contents.
Do the above and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still cannot find something that says "device", however I did go to troubleshooting assistants and restarted my computer and all my albums and songs are on there except for the one I added while talking to you.It is called "The Piano Man" by Henry Mancini and I was able to get 20 songs in an album but I don't know how to sync them to anything. Can you tell me how and we'll just forget all the other things like devices unless it is necessary to select all the songs (which I have done) and put them in an album but do not know how to sync to my ipod.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did you get my message that I restarted my computer and all my albums are back on my ipod. However, I did download or upload an album with 20 songs, checked them all and put them in an album but how can I sync the album to my ipod if I can't find this device??