Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

Captivate 6.0 on a MAC 10.8.3I build slides in a presentation

Customer Question

Captivate 6.0 on a MAC 10.8.3

I build slides in a presentation with 2 text boxes and place them on the timeline. When I test them in the timeline they both appear as they should and properly timed. When I publish the transition to the second slide does not happen and the 1st text box stays on the screen.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your Mac, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Lindie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Lindie,

I still need an answer so look forward to the assistance.

Thanks,

Tom

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a professionals for you.

Rachel

Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name isXXXXX can help you with your question.

You mentioned having Captivate 6.0. There is an update patch to 6.0.1 that addresses several issues regarding random or incorrect pausing/stopping of presentations that are published. You may already have the update, but you should make sure. If you don't, then I would suggest applying the patch and trying again.

In Adobe Captivate, go to Help>Updates and under Adobe Captivate, if there is an update, put a check next to it and then click update.

Please let me know if this helps or if you need more information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Michael,

I already have the patch and Captivate 6 shows Version 6.0.1.240.

Any other ideas?

Tom

Can you please provide the link to the presentation, or upload it to Wikisend for me to take a look at?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wikisend is not responding. Says server problem.

I can send with You Send It if I get an address.

Try just going directly to
http://www.wikisend.com

I gave you a shortened link which may not be working.

Unfortunately, I don't have an email address I am allowed to give out here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Uploaded to wikisend and did not get a file id. Not sure what how to let you know what file it is.

It should give it to you after you do the upload. It is the only way for be to get it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it went to a blank page. Will try again.

OK. Sorry... you have to go through this... but it's the only way I can receive files.... but if you have any place you can put it where I can can get it, that would be fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Been trying to share but all require an email address. DropBox, Adobe Connect, etc. Curious if wikisend is having a problem with it being a Captivate file.

It shouldn't be.

But if you put it in dropbox, it should let you share it with a link and then you can provide the link here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Michael,

See if this works.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yutlm7z69fp5box/Xutl_oYnar

Tom

That seems to be OK. Let me download and then give me a little while to look it over.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

An example of the issue is in slide 6. There is a graphic of a cylinder and after a few seconds the label appears. In the timeline it works good but does not in the published version.

Hey... this is starting to look somewhat familiar to me Smile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just added another example in the dropbox. It is only one slide and shows a group of text boxes.

I would need a new link to access that one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That appears to be the same file.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There should be 2 files in the box
Ok, now it's actually showing me 3.

Let's use one as an example...

In the first one, what is it that doesn't go away once slide 6 is done... the text or the graphic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is the graphic. The tank stays and the label graphic is supposed to show over it when it's time comes. The label does not show. It works fine when playing the timeline but not when reviewing or after publishing.

OK... that's the info I needed. Let me look into it briefly.

I am able to render the file and publish it to swf and play it without a problem with the label. Is it possible that it's that the slide is not playing? With a flash file, in order to see the objects that enter the slide after it begins, it much actually be "played" as a flash animation, and not just stepped through from one slide to the next. If the slide is not "played", the contents will not be dynamic and you are just going grom the beginning of one slide to the beginning of the next. Does this make sense the way I am explaining it? I will show you in a screenshot:

graphic
Some additional information that might be helpful.

I think what's hapenning is that the "next" and "back" buttons are causing the flash to pause, when I remove those, the file plays thought without a problem.

What I would suggest, if you want the user to be able to stop the swf is to use advanced actions rather than the buttons. If you go into advanced actions, you will see that the action for a button is to "go to the next slide" which simply jumps to that slide. And with no input from the button, the slide does nothing. So the only options on that slide are to either go to the next slide, or do nothing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It look like that is what is happening. I did and Advanced Action, but the problem is that it puts the presentation in an automatic mode. The presenter will need to have the slide stop so there can be discussion withe the slide showing before going forward.

Expert:  replied 1 year ago.

In that case, instead of using the buttons, the presenter should use flash controls... you can also change the button from "go to the next slide" to "continue", which will allow it to continue playing without jumping to the next slide.

Another way around it is to duplicate the slide so that you have one slide with the label, and one without, and take the buttons off the first slide so you simply let the slide play for xx seconds and then it automatically goes to the next slide, which includes the label. This gives the same appearance as introducing it mid-slide and allows you to keep your current controls.

So you all you would doing is duplicating the slide and taking the buttons off of one of them. And on the other, make the label appear from the beginning.

Experience: 20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
Please let me know if that's going to work for you, or if you need additional assistance. Also, please remember to rate my level of service below. That's very important, and I will remain available to you after you provide a rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am looking at options. Will send a communication to adobe that captivate needs an Action where the slide plays and stops before going to the next one. It may be there but cannot find out how to do it.

You did a great job. Did not like the answer, but that was not your fault. Thanks for the assistance and will let you know if I need further assistance on this issue.

Regards,

Tom

Thank you again Tom, it's been a pleasure. I agree with you - I don't think Captivate is very intuitive. Nor does it feel like most Adobe Products. And you are absolutely right... I can't imagine why they wouldn't have the functionality. There seems to be NO action to do that at the end of a slide! I was looking at the same thing and I'm suprised by it. I guess I just never had the need to do it, but then again, almost all of my work in Captivate is troubleshooting, so it wouldn't necessarily be a feature I would have noticed if you didn't bring it to my attention. I'm somewhat used to using Adobe products a little "outside the box" to make them do exactly what I want. You would think that with the complexity of their products, you would never have to do that... I mean, they do just about everything. Then again, they are usually responsive to enhancement requests.

If you come back to JustAnswer and need help again, feel free to request me. I really enjoy working with you!