Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Because I use MS Exchange, I have a lock on my iPad which I

Customer Question

Because I use MS Exchange, I have a lock on my iPad which I can't disable. The lock turns off the iPad preventing both the backup to and from the cloud. Surely there is a work around for this. Appreciate any help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

There is indeed a way to fix this, not just work around it.
Make note of all the correct info for the MS Exchange.
Then delete the work profile found in Settings/Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

Now reinstall as not an automated profile with the settings you made a copy of.
Email, server, etc.

Then recreate it without the automatic profile. Try that and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have no idea what an "automatic profile" is - I've configured an exchange account several times but have never seen words re "automatic profile". Please explain

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
That was one fix for it.
What version of iOS is on the iPad?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am using the latest version of the iPad software - iOs 6 on an iPad mini

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok, this is what Apple says to do it.

What that does to the screen lock is unknown but it somehow does.
Wake from sleep, goto Settings/General/Passcode lock. Now at the top you will see Turn Passcode on or off. Enter your passcode to set if it asks for one.
Now you should be able to set it to off so it behaves the way you want.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I obviously know more about this problem then you do - installing MS Exchange accounts on IOS 6 and probably earlier versions keep one from entering "never" on the Auto-Lock option. What I"m asking for is a way to work around this. Please just say "I don't have an answer" if you don't have one

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

1) in 'settings' > 'mail', tap on your ms exchange account and turn 'mail', 'contacts' and 'calenders' options all to OFF. in effect, disable your ms exchange account
2) in 'settings' > 'general' > 'auto-lock', the 'never' option should suddenly be there. select this option.
3) then go back to the mail settings and turn all your ms exchange email account options back to ON.
4) Thats it. But most importantly, make sure you DONT GO BACK AND CHECK the autolock option, else it'll turn back to 5 mins. leaving it alone will ensure it stays on NEVER

You are probably getting a security push from the server. What you are experiencing is not common.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry Danial, but that doesn't work either. I'm giving up. I've scoured the Internet to a solution to this problem - you were my last hope. I'm afraid this is just some dumb security setting that Apple hard wired into their IOS system and there is no fix for it.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
It is not an Apple thing, it is something to do with the way MS Exchange is set up.

It has to do with the exchange server requiring a passcode and it sets what the defaults are and they are preset.
You can live with it or change who your email provider is. You might also disable auto sync so that you have to manually fetch each time you what an email update.
This is one of those control things, you have it or they have it.
Sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

guess I have to "live with it" as I have three exchange accounts that I need to access.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
What I have given you is what there is as far as I know. Wish it were different.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for trying - wish it was worth paying for but frankly, you haven't helped me.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
No problem.