Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

IMac I

Customer Question

I cannot open Microsoft word on my IMac. I have used this software since I bought this computer.

Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.

What happens when you open Word? Are you getting any errors?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Microsoft cannot open because of a problem. It May not run on OS. It may need to be re installed.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.

What version of Mac OS X are you using? And what version of Office is this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

IMAC OS X

Microsoft Office

The computer was bought in 2011 and the software came with it.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.

What version of OS X? Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac. You can find the version number there.

What version of Office is it 2008 or 2011?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

10.6.8

Office 2011

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.

This error usually occurs if the Office application was or moved, deleted or duplicated. So let’s check whether Word is still there or not. On your Mac, go to Applications > Microsoft Office 2011 folder and can you see Microsoft Word there?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

NO

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.

That means Word is moved or deleted from your Mac. In Spotlight search Word in the top right and does it shows Microsoft Word?

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.

Spotlight is the search box in the top right corner of your screen. Search Word in there and does it show’s Microsoft Word application in the results?

Do you have the Office 2011 installation discs?

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.

Did you search Word?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The spotlight does show Microsoft word and Microsoft word 2.

I do not have office 2011 discs unless it in on the installation disc "Applications Install DVD".

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.

You have two copies of Microsoft Word and that is causing the error. In Spotlight, click "Show All" button and this will open All Results in finder window. Move the Microsoft Word from there to the Applications > Microsoft Office 2011 folder. Then trash the Microsoft word 2 from there. Don't empty the trash.

Now try to open Word or Word documents. Did that work?

Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience: Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It still will not open.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.

Are you getting the same error? Go to Applications > Microsoft Office folder and can you open Word from there?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Same Error

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.

Go to Applications > Microsoft Office 2011 folder and can you see Word 2011 in there?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just Microsoft word, nothing Microsoft will open- excel, power point etc.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.

It seems like the Office 2011 is corrupted. Download and reinstall Office from here: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/mac/X18-08827.dmg

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its downloaded where do I reinstall and do I have to trash he old word?

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.

Go to your Downloads folder and you can see a file named X18_08827.dmg file there. Double click on it and this will open Office installer. Follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall Office. No, don't trash old Word. We can try without trashing first.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there anything else that I have to do?

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.

Is everything working fine now?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe so!

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.

Just don't delete the downloaded file, so if there is any problem you can always use that file to reinstall Office.