Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I cannot open Microsoft word on my Imac. I have used this software

Customer Question

I cannot open Microsoft word on my Imac. I have used this software since I bought this computer.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What happens when you open Word ? Are you getting any errors ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Microsoft cannot open because of a problem. May not run on OS. may need to be re installed...

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info Tom. What version of Mac OS X are you using ? And what version of Office is this ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

iMAC OS X

Microsoft Office

The computer was bought in 2011 and the software came with it.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
What version of OS X ? Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac. You can find the version number there

And what version of Office ? 2008 or 2011 ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.6.8

Office 2011

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Tom, this error usually occurs if the Office application was or moved, deleted or duplicated. So lets check whether Word is still there or not. On your Mac, goto Applications > Microsoft Office 2011 folder and can you see Microsoft Word there ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

NO

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
That means Word is moved or deleted from your Mac. In Spotlight search Word in the top right and does it shows Microsoft Word ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Tom, Spotlight is the searchbox in the top right corner of your screen. Search Word in there and does it shows Microsoft Word application in the results ?

Do you have the Office 2011 installation discs ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Tom, please reply back here. Did you searched Word ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The spotlight does show Microsoft word and Microsoft word 2.

I do not have office 2011 discs unless it in on the installation disc "Applications Install DVD"

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tom, You have two copies of Microsoft Word and that is causing the error. In Spotlight, click "Show All" button and this will open All Results in finder window. Move the Microsoft Word from there to the Applications > Microsoft Office 2011 folder. Then trash the Microsoft word 2 from there. Don't empty the trash.

Now try to open Word or Word documents. Did that work Tom ?

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It still will not open

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Tom, Are you getting the same error ? Goto Applications > Microsoft Office folder and can you open Word from there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Same Error

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Goto Applications > Microsoft Office 2011 folder and can you see Word 2011 in there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just Microsoft word. Nothing microsoft will open- excel, power point etc.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
It seems like the Offic 2011 is corruped. Download and reinstall Office from here : http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/mac/X18-08827.dmg

Please let me know how it goes Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its downloaded where do I reinstall and do I have to trash he old word?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Goto your Downloads folder and you can see a file named X18_08827.dmg file there. Double click on it and this will open Office installer. Follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall Office. No, don't trash old Word. We can try without trashing first. Let me know how it goes..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wow!!! What a relief. My wife can now do her report. Is there anything else that I have to do?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Is everything working fine now ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I believe so! I'm sorry I took up so much of your time. Thanks for all the help!

Tom

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No Problem Tom. Just don't delete the downloaded file, so if there is any problem you can always use that file to reinstall Office.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Excellent Service. Thanks for your help. Everything is working fine.

Tom

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You're most welcome Tom. If you need any help in future, please come back again.

Have a great day,