Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech
Experience:  Support Mac laptops, desktops, & iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.
30037186

Hello, Im trying to update my Tiger 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard

Customer Question

I'm trying to update my Tiger 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard 10.6.3...but it says there is not enough RAM on my computer to support the new features. The memory is 512 MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM...is there anyway to make that bigger or do something to have the Snow Leopard work or will I simply have to get a new computer.. ?? :/

many thanx!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Viet - Mac Tech replied 1 year ago.

Viet - Mac Tech :

Hi, I will assist,

Customer:

hello

Viet - Mac Tech :

I'm sorry about the issue. Yes, you can buy more RAM memory. What's the model of your macbook?

Customer:

where do I see that

Customer:

model name; macbook 2,1

Customer:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
SMC Version: 1.13f3
Serial Number: 4H70201KWGN
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Viet - Mac Tech :

You can run the memory check at
http://www.crucial.com/mac/index.aspx

Viet - Mac Tech :

is it macbook or macbook pro?

Customer:

just macbook

Customer:

one of the old white ones

Customer:

I've opened this scan...it says the scan is complete and tells me to click the button below but there is no button to click

Viet - Mac Tech :

sorry, I'm checking

Viet - Mac Tech :

You need 1GB (1,024MB) of RAM memory; that's the system requirements for Snow Leopard

Viet - Mac Tech :

So you would need to buy more RAM sticks

Viet - Mac Tech :

This laptop can take up to 2GB memory

Customer:

ok, sorry what is that RAM Stick

Customer:

something I can download or is it somehting u have to put in the computer

Viet - Mac Tech :

It's RAM memory sticks

Viet - Mac Tech :

It's something you have to put on the computer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

oh like a usb ?

Customer:

oh no ok it has to be built in the computer ?

Viet - Mac Tech :

No, it's not like USB ; it's inside, but not built-in; you have to open up the laptop to replace with higher memory sticks

Customer:

ok, will I have to to take it to a shop or can i do that myself ?

Viet - Mac Tech :

let me check the manual

Viet - Mac Tech :

what year is your laptop?

Customer:

2007 I think

Viet - Mac Tech :

It's easy to replace memory

Customer:

hmm, ok so I only have to buys those memory sticks you sent me the link to and then follow this manual to install them myself and then I should be able to upgrade to the snow leopard ?

Viet - Mac Tech :

Yes, but you might want to buy from your local computer store or Apple store as the site I gave you is from the USA.

Customer:

ok, and those sticks is something they should have ?

Customer:

well I'll ask around then :)

Customer:

I'm wondering, say I manage to do all this

Viet - Mac Tech :

Yes, local computer store have that memory; just make sure:

Viet - Mac Tech :

it's laptop RAM

• 200-pin SODIMM

• DDR2 PC2-5300 Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667

Customer:

is it then possible to upgrade to software above the snow leopard with the extra memory or are there other components that come into play for that

Customer:

great

Viet - Mac Tech :

No, mountain lion is not compatible with your laptop:

Customer:

ah ok so this is as high as I can get ?

Customer:

snow leopard

Viet - Mac Tech :

for Lion is okay, but you need 2GB RAM

Customer:

isn't that what I'm putting in the the new memory sticks ?

Viet - Mac Tech :

You can buy 1GB or 2GB

Viet - Mac Tech :

RAM memory

Customer:

but I should be able to put in 2GB ?? two 1GB sticks

Viet - Mac Tech :

Yes, that's correct, this laptop supports up to 2GB

Viet - Mac Tech :

two 1GB sticks

Customer:

ok,great I'll try this out. just one more thing..will this upgrade I'm doing allow me to use this computer without to much trouble for another 2 or 3 years...or is this computer only viable for one more year do you think ?

Viet - Mac Tech :

It depends on what new programs you use; if you just use what you are using right now, then it's fine. What programs will you use after the upgrade?

Viet - Mac Tech :

Having more RAM memory will definitely makes the laptop runs faster.

Customer:

I'm guessing pretty much the same

Viet - Mac Tech :

Then you can use it for a few more years

Customer:

I was just getting annoyed because I couldn't update anything and with many open windows or programs it is really slow

Customer:

ok great

Viet - Mac Tech :

oh, yes, you definitely need more memory

Viet - Mac Tech :

512mb is too small

Customer:

then I'll try this memory stick do it yourself solution..I'll feel like a computer genius if it works :)

Customer:

thanx so much!!

Viet - Mac Tech :

You're welcome. You can always get back to me as needed.

Customer:

how do I do that ?

Viet - Mac Tech :

you can bookmark this web page, and/or

Viet - Mac Tech :

check your email for message from JustAnswer

Viet - Mac Tech :

Do you have any further question for now?

Customer:

no this is it

Customer:

thanx again and have a great day!

Viet - Mac Tech :

You're welcome. OK. If you need anything else later, please let me know any time. Also, can you please rate my service by clicking on the smiley face below, then click on Submit / OK when it shows up. Thank you very much,
(You may need to scroll down this web page if needed.)

Customer:

ok

Viet - Mac Tech :

Thank you.

Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech
Experience: Support Mac laptops, desktops, & iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.