Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Hello, I have a following problem: I have tried to open

I have a following problem: I have tried to open my Word document and it says the following thing:
The Open XML file (name) cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents or the file name might contain invalid characters.
No error detail available
Location: 2

I tried to open the same file from my backup and the same message occurred.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

e.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear that you are not able to open the word document...:(

On your computer desktop, can you find your hard drive icon listed? What is the name given for that?

Also, go to Finder and let me know the names of the hard drives listed there to the left hand column?

Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your quick response.

Macintosh HD

Macintosh HD and Microsoft Office 2011

Thanks,

Egle

Thank you.

This issue can happen if your hard drive name is XXXXX XXXXX characters (or the file name itself is having invalid characters). Since it is showing only as Macintosh HD in your computer,

Let's try this.

The hard disk icon on your desktop - let's rename it and name it again as "Macintosh HD". To rename it, click on the hard drive icon. Once highlighted, click on it again to rename. Rename it to some name. Then change it back to "Macintosh HD".

Let's see whether that resolves your issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried it - it didn't work, unfortunately.

Would it make sense to send you a copy of the file?

:(

Have you recently changed the names of any files, folders or hard drive?

Can you give me the complete path of your document? For example, Macintosh HD\Documents\abcd.docx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It says the path is

/Users/eglelatt-dodge/Desktop

That did not give any clue...:(

Let's open the Finder. Can you please read to me the names listed at the left column? such as Applications, Desktop, your username etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Favorites

DropBox

All My Files

AirDrop

Desktop

Applications

Documents

Downloads

Movies

Music

Pictures

Google Drive

Devices

Egle's MacBook Pro

Macintosh HD

Microsoft Office 2011

Thank you.

Try saving your document somewhere in Finder\Macintosh HD

Now try to open the document. Let's see

If it still does not, let me know what is the name of the document you are trying to open.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I try and I get the message The item “xxx.docx” can’t be moved because “Macintosh HD” can’t be modified.

it has a button to Authenticate - should I do that?

yes authenticate it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I moved it to Macintosh HD and it still won't open.

The name is xxx.docx

:(

I think this might help.

When you go to finder, under "devices", you see "Egle's Macbook pro", correct?

Try renaming it to "Egle Macintosh HD".

Let's see whether that apostrophe is causing the issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry, but I can't seem to rename it. How do I do that

you can hold down the control key and click on the hard drive name. Now select the option "get info". Expand the name section and change the name.

Let me know if you are still not able to
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

doesn't seem to work

you were able to change the name?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No

Let's try it this way.

Go to your desktop view. Click on "Go" menu at the top.

Go > Computer.

Select the disc to be renamed. Then click on File menu > Get info.

Expand the name section and change it.

Are you able to change the name now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry - I am not sure how you expand the name section. When I Get Info I get a window of infromation, but there is no way to edit anything in there, no matter what size I make it.

Is it possible to Skype with you? Would probably be faster and easier

unfortunately, this is the only way we can communicate. All other means are against our policies.

Click on the name and it will expand.

let me know if it still does not help you change the name
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. when I click on it it highlights blue and expands but I can not edit it in anyway

Does this video help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcBThaRlR48

When you click on "Get info", there is a section called "name and extension".

Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I found another way to do it., through System Preferences. The name is XXXXX XXXXX the '

Are you able to open the word doc now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No.

Let me give you some more background. On the weekend the computer was totally full due to large amounts of hidden backed up mail files (long story). The technician at the local Mac store helped to find and clean these files and free up a lot of the hard drive. A couple of days later this

problem started.

In the meantime Office was reinstalled but did not help.

Also, this Word file opens on other computers. Some other Word files can open on this computer (but some can't, including this one).

When some files were cleaned, the name of that doc might got changed as well.

what is the name of that doc again? When you send it to me last time, I got it as "xxx.docx".

I don't need the extension, just the name is XXXXX XXXXX our system might block it for privacy.

Does the name contain any characters in the set "Numbers before names, Superscript/Subscripts, " ' \ | / { } [ ] <>"?

If it is fine, let me know what version of mac you use? You can find that by clicking on the apple logo at the top left corner and then on "about this mac"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is xxx.docx - that is correct

No numbers or such characters

Mac OS X version 10.7.5

Thank you.

I just found an article here

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/250082-office-word-2011-template-problem.html

There, let's try the last resolution - updating the office and moving the existing normal.dotm file to trash

Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tried it and doesn't work

:(

let's now try repairing the disk.

On your mac, let's go to finder\applications\utilities and open the "disk utility".

On the left column, select your hard drive. Click on First aid tab and select repair disk.

Let's see
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Everything seemed fine. It did not detect any problems.

I am running out of ideas...:(

I wish if I had a remote access capability, unfortunately I don't..:(

I would opt out here so that a different expert might be able to help you. Sorry I could not resolve it.

If no one responds, I am afraid you might need to ring Microsoft...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

I was thinking to try to reinstall OS X - do you think it might make any difference?

It may...but I think it is related to some of the word files being corrupted.

So it would be better to contact Microsoft first to check whether they have any idea on how to solve this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

True, though it's strange that I can open the same file on my husband's computer (Windows 7, Microsoft word) - but maybe it;s a word for mac issue

thanks

you are welcome...:)

may be a total uninstall and reinstall of word on the mac would help, which you did I believe

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2398768

Anyway, I have opted out and a different expert might be able to answer. You will get an email notification if someone replies Thank You

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Version 10.7.5

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK.

I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just did that but still cannot open the file. The same error message occurs.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK not done yet that was just a precaution. So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions?

Go to Word / Help / Check for Updates.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, it was green and then I repaired permissions.

I just updated the word as well. No change in the file.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK so just now you installed updates for Office? Did it end by saying there are no more updates? What version of Office is that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, there are no more updates.

2011 Office

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK now go to Applications / Utilities and open Terminal. Copy and paste this line and hit Return:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Word.plist

restart the computer and open Word and then go to File / Open and navigate to that file, let me know if there is any change
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately still no change :(

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok can you send me the file?

Go here with any web browser:

http://tinyurl.com/mikemacmedic

Choose Select Files and navigate to your file(s) to upload or you can also just drag the file(s) to the Upload box, then click on Start Uploading Files or Cancel. When it asks for a description put in your justanswer.com or pearl.com username. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Done!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK click here to download:

xxxresaved.docx

does that open without a problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It opens! There are some small formatting issues but otherwise no problems with it. How to open it with Word?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
It opened on my version fine I just resaved it. Try this then try opening the original file again:

Quit Word. Go to Applications / Utilities and open Terminal. Copy and paste this line and hit Return:

rm ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/Normal.dotm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know - it also opens in my husband's computer. But this and some other files do not open in my computer.

I just did that and:

Egles-MacBook-Pro:~ eglelatt-dodge$ rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Word.plist
Egles-MacBook-Pro:~ eglelatt-dodge$
Last login: Fri Apr 5 22:57:53 on console
Egles-MacBook-Pro:~ eglelatt-dodge$ rm ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/Normal.dotm
rm: /Users/eglelatt-dodge/Library/Application: No such file or directory
rm: Support/Microsoft/Office/User: No such file or directory
rm: Templates/Normal.dotm: No such file or directory
Egles-MacBook-Pro:~ eglelatt-dodge$

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK quit Word click on Finder (first icon in the Dock) then Go at the top of the screen to Go to Folder and paste this:

~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates

it will open that folder

drag Normal.dotm to the trash.

Then go here and download Maintenance for your system version, install it, run it and follow directions then check all boxes and click on Execute. Restart after.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadmaintenance.php

I have to step away for about 10 minutes let me know.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I'm back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So, I did everything you told me to do and unfortunately I still cannot open the file...

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Where is the file located?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have moved it around; I have it on the desktop and also in the Macintosh HD

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok go here and download Open Office:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/

then install it and open it and go to / Open and try your file
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if that opens it but also click here to download this file and see if you can open it:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?0i4qss1a1sdope2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, Mike.

In Open Office, I have most of it - some small formatting problems, and some of the graphics are missing - but I can remake them if need be.

In the other program, it opens but more problems to fix.

Are you thinking that there won't be a way to fix the file (or Word) so that it opens in Word?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No but I wanted you to have options obviously it opens with my version so it is not the file itself. Did you mean you downloaded the file yyy.docx and it DID open?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, but when I download it, I cannot open it at all :( the same error message occurs.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK just checking. Right click on the xxx.docx file and go to Get Info, under Name and Extension highlight the whole name and type xxxyyy.docx. Close that window and double click on xxxyyy.docx, same error message?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, the same error occurs.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK the only difference between your system and mine as far as I can see since we checked most everything else is I am using Mountain Lion, you could try upgrading but first I would try removing Office and reinstalling it. Go here and download the uninstaller and run it, then reinstall and update as necessary. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

YAY!!! It works now - beautifully!

I had re-installed Office two times before and it did not help (once in an Apple store with their technical expert), but it worked this time.

I am writing from Prague, where it is after midnight - so I will sign off now.

Thank you very much for your help! :)

egle

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Great!!!!!

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above. If you are not satisfied, please don't Rate to Finish and Reply to Expert and let me know what I can do to change that. Thanks.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.