David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified

Have inadvertently deleted iphoto library. How to recover

Have inadvertently deleted iphoto library. How to recover?
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

How did you delete it? Did you move it from your Pictures folder into the Trash?

Have you emptied your Trash?

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

answers: 1) Don't know how I deleted it; went through downloads and purged a pile of stuff to trash.

2) Emptied trash.

3) Did not move anything from iphoto library to trash.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi John.

So iPhoto did have some photos, and after emptying the Trash iPhoto is empty, correct?

Do you have any kind of backup? Are any of the photos still on camera memory cards?

Please open Finder, and click the Go menu at the top of the screen.

Click Home, and open the Pictures folder.

Is there anything in that folder?

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cannot open the iphoto folder...there is none! I repeat, only the iphoto ICON remains on my desktop, and it has a question mark on it. When I click on it and then the "options" appears, which only gives the option of removing the icon!

No, I have no backup and yes, there were many photos in the library.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi John,

What you appear to have deleted is the application, not the library.

Please click Finder, then the Go menu at the top of the screen, then Applications.

The folder contains a list of all your Applications.

Click the View menu at the top, and click 'As Columns'.

Look for iPhoto in the list of applications, can you see it there?

Thank you in advance,
David.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Was able to do as instructed. NO iphoto listed in applications.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi John,

Therefore the application has been deleted and your photos should be absolutely fine. The library and the application are separate things.

To gain access to iPhoto again, it must be reinstalled. How that is done depends on the spec of your Mac.

Please click the Apple menu in the top left, and 'About This Mac'.

Please tell me what it says for the Processor, Memory, and version of Mac OS.

Thank you in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Macbook Pro 4, 1

SMC version 1.27f3

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi John.

What version of Mac OS X does it say? Is it version 10.6.x for example?

Thanks,
David,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry. Version 10.6.8

I am using "Snow Leopard"

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
No worries at all.

iPhoto is on the install discs that came with your Mac, do you have those discs to hand?

Yours sincere;y,
David,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. I have unopened Install disc 1 and Install disc 2

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Please insert disc 1.

After the disc is read, a Finder window will open.

Double click the 'Optional Installs' folder, and double click the Optional Installs installer.

After the license screen tick the box beside iPhoto, and leave the rest blank.

Click the Install button on the next page, and enter you password XXXXX begin the install.

Let me know what happens if there is any problem.

Once it is installed, the Dock icon should work again, and you should have access to all of your photos again.

Please feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

David: Got to end of instructions but there is NO IPHOTO option to check on the list of apps! What now?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

It could be hidden beneath the triangle to the left. Click the small triangle to reveal the sub categories.

The full instructions are also here:
support.apple.com/kb/ht3415

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No iphoto choice there either. Should I try disc 2?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Yes please do, my apologies. The iLife optional installs are on disc 2.

I am sorry about that.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

David, I am beginning to feel rather helpless here. Disc 2 says "applications are on disc 1! What is going on?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

There are lost of ways that this is implemented by Apple, and it is always a point of confusion as the way to do it differs for each shipment of Macs.

Did you see the application 'Install Bundled Software' on disc 2?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

looking now.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks. It is there on one of them, we will find it.

Let me know how it's going when you can.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Maddening! Disc 2 says to use Disc 1 for applications. Disc 1 wants me to reinstall the bundle...will this affect all the other apps?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

The bundled apps install will only affect what you choose.

Do you have another disc labeled 'Applications Install DVD', or do you see install bundled apps on the second disc, or iPhoto when you reveal the options on the first disc.

Is it possible that these discs are from another Mac?

I understand your frustration, it is as frustrating any time this happens with all the different possibilities of install discs.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No other discs. only the Snow Leopard install disc. Got the computer brand new with the 2 discs unopened until now.

No choices given on disc 2 as on disc 1.

Not sure what yo mean about Reveal options on disc 1? Will retry that.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
H,

If my wording is not clear, then have a look at the steps as provided by Apple here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3415

Reveal options are those triangles, sometimes called' flippy triangles' that reveal sub folders.

Check on the two discs for the folder 'Optional Installs' or a folder or application called 'Bundled Software'.

Also does disc 2 have nothing on it when inserted?

Thanks for you patience with this.

If we get nowhere with this, there is the option of me connecting to your computer remotely, and I can arrange that. it doesn't take that long to set up.

Sincerely,
David.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will review disc 2 for the 3rd time.

Bundled software appears as a choice on disc 1. Dare I reinstall the whole thing (since it must include iphoto)?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

As it will not affect your data, that is an option. There should be an itemized list that you can choose just iPhoto though, but if you cannot find it go ahead with reinstalling all bundled software.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Disc 2 has an "xcode" thingy and nothing to do with apps. In fact, it says to use disc 1 for apps and either custom or bundled apps.

I will go and use disc 1 and the "bundled" option.

Question: I upgraded my OS to Snow Leopard when it came out. Could that have a bearing on anything?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

the correct steps are those for the install discs your Mac shipped with, which was Leopard. The article provided is for Leopard and later. So the article and steps are correct, but as I always find there is ambiguity and confusion between the steps and individual cases.

The bundled installer could in fact have a step to select which bundled apps to install. This could be the confusion.

Let me know how it is going.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Gritted my teeth and installed the '' bundle' from disc 1. GOT IPHOTO BACK AND WITH PHOTOS! Had to use disc 2 to finish the reinstall.

Will now use flash drive to save those photos I hadn't saved before.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX learned something today, too, I hope?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi John,

Yes I did thanks :)

There are no more install discs shipping with Mac computers, all reinstalls are done over the Internet.

There are huge benefits from that, one being that whenever you reinstall you get the latest version.

That leads to one other thing you should do, and that is check for Software Updates. iPhoto will have been updated from what was on the install discs. Click the apple menu and click Software Update.

If you want an easy backup, then in System Preferences there is the built in 'Time Machine' backup. It's very easy to configure, just connect a blank hard drive and turn it on. it takes care of the rest, and increments any time there are changes to you data.

Thank you for your patience through this frustrating issue. Please don't hesitate to ask any follow up questions or request me again in future.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I alwAys keep track of any updates and install same.

One last question and then I'm done: What kind of external blank hard drive do you recomment?

Thanks, John

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi John,

FireWire has become outdated now, so USB for sure.

Solid State Drives are more expensive, but are a lot more durable. They are a lot faster, and no moving parts means they are far more reliable than hard disks. They are flash memory chips instead of spinning magnetic platters with read write arm. They are worth the extra expense in my opinion.

For large storage they are just too expensive, and the hard disk type are still perfectly OK. There are a lot of choices, and I find that Otherworld Computers offer great selection and price.
www.macsales.com

Alternatives would be Amazon, or local suppliers, or even the local Apple Store.

So it depends on whether you want lots of extra space, or just enough to backup the internal storage of your Mac. Portability is a factor, but most external hard drives don't have separate power supplies these days.

Mac Sales, or OWC as they re known, are a Mac friendly site and are very popular with Mac users.

Kind regards,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified