Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My MacBook Pro says my start up disk is full. Can you walk

Customer Question

My MacBook Pro says my start up disk is full. Can you walk me through the steps I need to take to safley move, compress or delete stuff. I have zero clue what I'm doing. Thank you!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For some reason I can't get the apple to come up. I usually put the curser up there and the apple drops down with the safari and file edit n so on. The wheel is spinning (curser) so it doing something , I just don't know how to stop it. What now?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hold the power button for about 10 seconds then hit it again and hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo. If it starts up ok restart the computer the normal way and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, when it came back on I see my name then a guest user bubble. On bottom says sleep. Restart. And shut down. By the clock says safe boot. Shall I select restart?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No put your password in and continue holding the Shift key then restart after
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mac osx version 10.7.5processor 2.66ghz intel core 2 duo
Memory 4gb 1067 MHz ddr3
Start up disk Macintosh hd
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk. If all ok quit Disk Utility and restart the computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So hold the power button to shut off then turn back on with holdingbdown the buttons u said?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No that was just because it was frozen do it the normal way
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I started back up and the Mac osx utilities came up but I cannot select disk utility. To press continue. Is it frozen again? I can still move the curser
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Not sure. Yes hold the power button to shut off then: start the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk. If all ok quit Disk Utility and restart the computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that but nothing happens when I try to select disk utility. I keep tapping over it but nothing. I tried selecting continue too. Nothing is happening. My other choices r restore form time machine
Reinstall Mac OS X
Get help online
Disk utility.
What should I do now?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK restart normally then:

Right click on Macintosh HD and go to Get Info. What is listed next to Capacity and Available?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I right click on my track pad?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
That depends on how you have it setup usually click or tap with two fingers but you can also hold the Control key and left click
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
U mean from my desk. Top? Cuz nothing is letting me do anything :/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I have to shut off n turn back on to get to the desktop. I'm freaking out , is this normal.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Does the MacBook have a battery you can remove?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Can we continue tomorrow it is late here? Let me know.

OK try one of these methods depending on whether you can remove the battery or not, it is posted as an Answer because of site rules, but please Reply to Expert so we can continue:

1) Resetting the SMC & PRAM on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys. 
Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

2) Resetting the SMC and PRAM memory on Mac portables with a battery you can remove
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
5. Release the power button.
6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
7. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need them in step 9.
8. Turn on the computer.
9. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
10. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
11. Release the keys.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure. I'm pretty sure I'm screwing this all up;). Thank you ir trying n.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Do you have another Mac we can use or an external hard drive?