Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products

Hi, How do I delete photos from iPad? Seems impossible T

How do I delete photos from iPad? Seems impossible
Hi Holly,

Are these photos taken using the iPad itself OR transferred from any computer?

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Actually , I figured it out. They have to be imported into computer, then delete, then re-sync iPad to computer to delete them fm iPad, right?

They were taken w iPad

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Taken on iPad. I imported them to computer, moved them to trash to computer. unplugged iPad fm computer, re-plugged iPad into computer deleted photos are STILL there!!!

If they were taken using the iPad, they can be deleted from the itself, without any syncing.

For that, you need to go to "photos" app in your iPad, and to the "camera roll". Only the photos in the camera roll can be deleted from the iPad itself - using the edit, check, delete method.

For all the other photos, we need to use iTunes in the computer. Open iTunes in the computer and connect the iPad. Your iPad name would be listed in iTunes. Click on the iPad name and to the middle of the screen, you will find tabs such as summary, info, apps, photos etc.

If you click on the photos tab and uncheck "sync photos" and then on apply, it will delete all photos in the iPad except the ones in the camera roll. But if the photos were synced from a different computer, this will not work.

You need to create a new folder in your computer with only the photos you need on the iPad. Then in the photos tab in iTunes, select "sync photos from" and in the drop down box select "choose folder" and select the new folder you create. This will replace all photos in your device (except the ones in camera roll) with the photos in the new folder we created.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you find any difficulty.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wow, Vinod, that's a big help. Except you need to know-- "camera roll" is in my camera , not my Photos . Weird, right?

Soo, what if I don't want ALL the photos deleted from my iPad?

What if I want to delete just SOME using the iTunes method you gave?

Unfortunately, selected photos can be deleted only if you know where the photos were synced from. I don't think they are taken using the iPad, since you are not able to delete them from the iPad itself.

If you know the location of photos on the computer (mostly it will be in My pictures section in the computer). Delete selected photos from there and sync the iPad. If that does not help, our only option is to wipe all the photos...:(
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

wow-- I have never liked my iPad b/c it does so little compared to computer. don't see why people like them at all. This just confirms it!

Send me smiley faces for this question.

I have another question but I want you to get paid for it also (I have unlt'd subscription so might as well use it)

I believe you found the smileys. You can ask the new question here