Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I just got my mac back after it had been sent out for a new

Customer Question

I just got my mac back after it had been sent out for a new hard drive. Now the password XXXXX XXXXX and I don't know what it is. Is there a basic start up password XXXXX might give me access to do changes on my computer?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

No, there is no basic startup password. But you can change the password XXXXX What version of Mac OS X does it have ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I check what version it is? My mac is at least three years old.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Erin, you can't check since you are unable to login. Do you have the Mac OS X installation discs ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Probably somewhere I do, but it could be anywhere in my house. I was hoping there might be a way to fix it without the disk. If that isn't the case, they I will just have to find it I guess.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Erin If you get the discs, then we can easily reset the password. Another way is, you can create a brand new administrator account for yourself from Single User Mode (a unix interface/mode)

Follow the steps below to create a new User Account in Single User Mode.

• Turn off your Mac.
  • Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple) + S keys and this will boot your Mac into Single User Mode (black screen with white letters)
  • When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands exactly to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line):
mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

When you press return after the last command, your Mac will turn off. Turn it back on and after rebooting, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account. If you have any trouble running the commands, please let me know and I will help you.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Erin, make sure you run the commands correctly. See the codes in detail below;

mount<press space>-uw<press space>/<press enter/return>
rm<press space>/var/db/.AppleSetupDone<press enter/return>
shutdown<press space>-h<press space>now<press enter/return>

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Ashik,

I followed the commands exactly the way you said and it worked. Yay!! I was able to set up a new administrator and reset the password on my old administrator. I am now back in and able to access all my files and music just like before. I really appreciate your help. You're awesome!

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm very glad to hear that and You're most welcome Erin. Please come back again if you need our help in the future.

Have a great day,
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Erin,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My mac is running like a dream. Couldn't be happier!! Thanks so much for your help and I will definitely bring any future issues your way.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Thank You Erin.

Take Care,