Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Hello, My 2008 MacBook Air has not turned on in about a

Customer Question

My 2008 MacBook Air has not turned on in about a year. I have tried rebooting it by pressing the power button and "c" button simultaneously, and it doesnt do anything else.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

What kind of response do you get? I mean anything at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, right now, the apple logo is on the screen and has been for an hour. The timer circle is spinning below the logo.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
That is not bad news.
Try a pram reset to start with.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys all together at the same time.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P' all together at the same time.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.
The sound should also get louder.

graphic

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

That might be all it needs to get started, let me know the result please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel,

When I hold down those four keys, nothing happens. How long should I be holding them down for?

Thank you,

Sheryl

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I need to try to fix my computer by the end of the day today and have been waiting for a response. No problems- just would like to see if someone else can assist if they are available.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Does it have a battery you can remove?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Sorry MacBook Air missed that.

Try this.

Resetting the SMC & PRAM on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own
1. Hold the power button for abotu 10 seconds to shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys.
9. Hold the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo, then if it starts up ok, it may take a while restart normally.

Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, thanks. I did all of those steps to restart and I now see the apple logo and the timer. I will let you know if it starts up ok again......will be back in touch...

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The timer is still running on the grey screen with the apple logo...

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
That's ok it is attempting repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay- still going.....

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Does it look like one of these?

graphic

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, it is still just the grey screen, apple logo, and the spinning circle right underneath the apple logo.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Do you know what system is running on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OSX, I believe

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes but what version? Do you have the USB DVD drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I have the disc---MAC OSX version 10.5.2

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the USB drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I do, however, I believe my Microsoft Office DVD is in it, and I cannot get it out until my computer works ?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Plug the drive in then when you restart the computer hold the eject key or the spacebar it should eject. Then Put the Leopard install disk in and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got to the install screen and I have just two options- archive and install, or erase and install....which one do I choose?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I never said to install look at the top of the screen for Utilities drop down go to Disk Utility
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, got it to the point where it is now repairing disk permissions....almost halfway through.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok if Verify Disk was also ok, try restarting when that is done, we may need to reinstall the system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The computer has been restarted and the grey screen, logo, and circling timer have been up on the screen for a little while...

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Let it go for a bit then if still no go... do the same thing again but this time: Install choosing the option to Archive and install. If it boots up ok after make sure you run Software Update under thta Apple Logo before you try opening any apps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, it is still going....

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK that's enough sorry for the delay. Go ahead and reinstall, Verify Disk again just to be sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I will have to do this when I get home from work since I don't want to start this and then have to leave (and I'm not staying at work)!

Should I just write back to you later tonight once I have it going again?

Also, do I just restart with the disk drive plugged in, holding down the start and "C" button?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes I should be on until aboutXXXXX Yes just plug it in and restart holding the letter C key.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I restarted and the choose a language screen is up...

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Ok sorry I took a break I thought you would know. Choose language and install choosing the option to Archive and Install.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Preserve Users Network Settings?

Thats ok- I am eating dinner.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes check all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It says it will take another few hours to install....

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
It probably won't take that long.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, its still going...says 20 minutes left...

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its now telling me to insert Disc 2, but it did not eject Disc 1, and I don't see an eject button...

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
It should be here:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I got it--- I just shook it a little..ha

Its installing, says 30 minutes left....

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
K
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, so it finished installing, and I am installing the Autoupdate that popped up from Microsoft...

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK When that finishes go to Apple Logo to Software Update.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, still installing updates.....if you've gotta go, we can finish tomorrow afternoon/night.....

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok we can do that let me know how it goes... sounds like it is on track!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I think so...

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
K let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike,

So I was able to start up my laptop no problem and get to the home screen with my icons, however, it just shuts off on its own at random times. I'd say about 5 minutes or so after I power it on. It also shut down when I unplugged the power cord (it was fully charged).

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK that sounds like a hardware failure. You could try installing a clean system on an external USB drive and if the problem persists that would clinch it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I do that?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Do you have an external USB drive you can use?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

A zip drive? I have that...it has documents on it. How much space is needed?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Is that a hard drive or Stick?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

stick

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok you would need about 4 GB and it would need to be reformatted as most of those are formatted as Fat32 for Windows.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have it plugged in- how can I see the amount of space available on it?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Right click on it and go to Get Info
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It has 1.76 GB available...

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok but what is the Capacity?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1.86 GB....
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK I am not sure if Leopard will fit on that but you would have to erase it anyway, we can try. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay....ill be back
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
K
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Wait is there only one USB port an that Air, you may need a powered hub??
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Try this first:

1. Shut down the computer.
8. Release the keys.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, it is restarting now...finally....

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK so is it still shutting down?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Let me know I won't be online much longer tonight.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It shut down and will not start back up.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I don't know exactly what you did at this point. Can you clarify?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I followed the instructions for resetting the SMC and PRAM. After it restarted it shut down. When I press the power button, nothing happens.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK I was pretty sure there was some kind of hardware failure. I'm afraid that makes it more likely. You will have to have it looked at by Apple or another Mac service provider. Sorry, nothing more I can do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, thanks.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Good luck.

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above. If you are not satisfied, please don't Rate to Finish and Reply to Expert and let me know what I can do to change that. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike,

I am now inSan Diego until next Wednesday. I will get back to you then.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
k