James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert

James are you still there? I was able to get the black screen

James are you still there? I was able to get the black screen up for "single user mode". I'll be happy to pay you if you want to try and finish.
Category: Mac
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul,

I'd be happy to keep working with you for as long as you wish, I just want to make sure I don't give you any false hopes - if the problem is hardware related, nothing we can do will fix this...
That said, in the black screen, please type:

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

Make sure to type a space after rm, and then after db/
Make sure the A,S,D in AppleSetupDone are capitals.

Thanks!

J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hold on. I'm rebooting it again with command S. All the fans were blowing and it sounded like it was overheating, so I turned it off. Give me a minute. Okay...I will pay you even if it is hardware. Hold on

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Paul, please take your time!

I'm with you for as long as you need.

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

now...it says:

rm: /var/db/ : is a directory

rm: .AppleSetupDone: no such file or directory

localhost: / root#

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Okay.

Type:

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

Only make a space after rm, and NOT after "db/"

Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it says "no such file or directory"

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Okay - that means the file was removed.

Go ahead and reboot - any change?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

same thing...but now I held down the "t" and rebooted and I connect that computer with this one (firewire) and I can see everything is there. Is there any way we can fix it by working through this computer?

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
I wish there was, but we cannot get the faulty computer to a state where we can recover it.

I'm very sorry Paul, the only thing to do is have it repaired... I'm really very sorry!

J.
James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience: Mac Expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ugh! Well you can't say we didn't try. So yes, absolutely, take the $58. Thanks for everything.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Paul, I appreciate the fact you appreciate my time.

If there is anything else I can do, please do let me know!

Kindly rate me using the faces under my answer, and thank you so much!

J.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for rating me and thank you so much for the generous bonus!
I wanted to make sure I provided you with the best service possible and remind you that this question remains open for you to come back and talk to me if you need to.
It would be my pleasure to assist you further if you need additional help or information!

In a few days, you will get a survey regarding my service to you. It would mean the world to me if you can fill out the survey so my admins know I did my best to help you.

Thank you so much for the opportunity to work with you!