Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Hi, I too lost my entourage but found it through the spotlight.

Customer Question

Hi, I too lost my entourage but found it through the spotlight. I then got it onto the dock and followed your instructions from a previous thread showing in finder and dragging to applications. Now entourage wont open. Any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.6.8

Processor 2.66 GHZ Intel core i7

Memory 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. It is posted as an Answer because of site rules but it is really just a diagnostic test. So please don't Rate to Finish just Reply to Expert when done.

Open Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities and double click Disk Utility. Highlight your hard drive, usually Macintosh HD, and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry stumped already, where do i find Mac HD/Applications etc

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Macintosh HD is your hard drive on your Desktop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok found it as i sent my reply, i pushed verify disk.

I have a message:

Disk Utility stopped verifying Mac HD

THis disk needs to be repaired. Start up your computer with another disk (such as your Mac OS X installation disc) and the use Disk Utility to repair this disk.

Only option is to push ok. What now?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Put the Snow Leopard install disk in and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not have a disk, from memory it was just a pop up to install. What do i do?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You must have received a disk with the computer you just "updated" the system. Please look. If you can't find it there are some other things we can try.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cant track down the disk, what are the other things?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Start up your computer in single-user mode to reach the command line.
1. Shut down your Mac if it is on.
2. Press the power button to start the computer.
3. Immediately press and hold the Command (Apple) key and the "s" key for single-user mode. (Command-S)

You have successfully entered single-user mode when you see white text appear on the screen.

At the command-line prompt type: 

/sbin/fsck -fy

Press Return. fsck will go through five "phases" and then return information about your disk's use and fragmentation. Once it finishes, it'll display this message if no issue is found:

** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK 
If fsck found issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message:
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed in step 2 until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK (first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues, so this is a normal thing to do).

When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type reboot at the prompt and then press Return.
Your computer should start up normally and allow you to log in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i have printed these instructions, will i lose contact wiht you or will i be able to make contact via the emails threads?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes or bookmark this page
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok rebooted and back online.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
So you kept doing it until you did not see:

FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Quit Entourage hold down Option and start Entourage this will open the Microsoft Database Utility, Rebuild the Database.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Entourage is not open. I tried to hold option and clicked on entourage on the dock and got error

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Do you have your installation disk for Office?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not with me, possibly at home.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Can you open Word? If so open it and go to Help / Check for Updates.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There are no updates available at this time.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Drag the Entourage icon off the Dock then go to Applications / Microsoft Office 2008 and double click on Entourage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It says it cannot open it?

This is the problem details and system configuration:

Process: Microsoft Entourage [412]
Path: /Applications/Microsoft Entourage.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Entourage
Identifier: com.microsoft.Entourage
Version: ??? (???)
Build Info: Unknown-130206~0
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [156]

Date/Time: 2013-04-04 11:16:09.842 +1100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 141370 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 8
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 8
Anonymous UUID: A5216862-B217-4536-A0A7-E3F9144F1EA3

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/Netlib.framework/Versions/12/Netlib
Referenced from: /Applications/Microsoft Entourage.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Entourage
Reason: image not found

Binary Images:
0x8fe00000 - 0x8fe4162b dyld 132.1 (???) <A4F6ADCC-6448-37B4-ED6C-ABB2CD06F448> /usr/lib/dyld

Model: MacBookPro6,2, BootROM MBP61.0057.B0C, 2 processors, Intel Core i7, 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, SMC 1.58f17
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, PCIe, 512 MB
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics, Intel HD Graphics, Built-In, 288 MB
Memory Module: global_name
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x93), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.42.4)
Bluetooth: Version 2.4.5f3, 2 service, 19 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: Ethernet, Ethernet, en0
Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en1
Serial ATA Device: TOSHIBA MK5055GSXF, 465.76 GB
Serial ATA Device: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-898
USB Device: Hub, 0x0424 (SMSC), 0x2514, 0xfa100000 / 2
USB Device: Internal Memory Card Reader, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8403, 0xfa130000 / 5
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x0236, 0xfa120000 / 4
USB Device: BRCM2070 Hub, 0x0a5c (Broadcom Corp.), 0x4500, 0xfa110000 / 3
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8218, 0xfa113000 / 7
USB Device: Hub, 0x0424 (SMSC), 0x2514, 0xfd100000 / 2
USB Device: BVU195, 0x17e9 (DisplayLink (UK) Ltd.), 0x0268, 0xfd130000 / 5
USB Device: Built-in iSight, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8507, 0xfd110000 / 4
USB Device: IR Receiver, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8242, 0xfd120000 / 3

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Restart and hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo. If it starts up ok in Safe Mode restart the normal way then try opening Entourage again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did exactly that twice and im not sure if it opened in safe mode? Either way entourage still does not open.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK open Macintosh HD / Users / yourusername / Library / Preferences / drag com.microsoft.entourage.plist to the trash. Try opening Entourage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

done and would not open :(

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK you will need that installation disk. Or you can buy or upgrade to the latest version if that is not possible:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok let me go home now and i will try and find the installation disk. Will be in touch shortly.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have since rectified my problem. Thanks