James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert
24111805

I was trying to reset my admin name. My business partner moved

Customer Question

I was trying to reset my admin name. My business partner moved to LA and gave me the computer and I wanted to change the name and password. I followed the instructions on a YouTube video and now I cant get the computer to reboot. It goes through the rebooting process then shows a blue screen which occasionally flashes gray with a black box in the middle.
Category: Mac
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is James and I appreciate the oppurtunity to assist you today.
I will do my best to answer your question!

I'm sorry to hear about the issue with the computer.

Can you please tell me if this is a Mac computer or a Windows computer?

Thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

mac

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.

Please check if you can start it in Safe Mode, following this procedure:

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  2. Press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

During startup in Mac OS X v10.4 through Mac OS X v10.6.8, you will see "Safe Boot" on the login window, which appears even if you normally log in automatically. During startup in Mac OS X v10.2 through v10.3.9, you will see "Safe Boot" on the Mac OS X startup screen.

Does it start?

Thanks,

J.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no...I get the gray icon and progress indicator. Then it goes to the blue progress bar. The it goes blue. Then goes between a slightly lighter blue screen, the regular blue screen, or a gray screen with a black rectangular shaped box in the middle which flashes on rapidly then goes back to the blue and repeats. The black box has a "drop shadow".

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for trying this.

Can you please try one more thing for me?

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Does the compuer boot now?

Thanks again,

J.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no...It acts like it's going to boot. Then right when my desktop would open it starts with the flashing black box.

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Again, thanks for trying this.

Please power the computer off.
Power it on, while holding the Command and R keys.

Do you see the option to run Recovery?

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no...same thing...was I supposed to keep holding command R after the gray screen. I let go after I saw the apple.

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Please try this one more time for me.

Turn the computer off.
Turn it back on, and immediately hold down Command and R.

Do you see a recovery option?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

same thing again...no recovery option

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Okay, I understand.

Again, power off your Mac.

Hold down the Command and Option keys together, and then power it on (don't let go of the buttons). Do you see recovery options?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

same thing...I know I doing this correctly because I'm fairly computer savy.

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
I am sure you are - and this actually confirms my suspicion that the problem is not related to the password/user change you made. It is a coincidence.

The computer actually has a hardware problem, with the main board. It is preventing it from booting up properly, in such a way that we cannot even get to the recovery partition and initiate a recovery.

I'm afraid this will require a physical repair. I'd be happy to locate the closest reliable repair facility for you, if I may have your ZIP code.

Thanks again for your patience!

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can get into the system if I press command S. Does that mean anything?

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
What happens when you hit Command-S? What do you see?
Are you able to work normally?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I get the black screen with lines of white type. I guess it's html. That's how I got into trouble. I typed commands in from a YouTube guru and it screwed everything up.

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Ah -you are able to get into the Terminal.

Boot into that screen again, and then type this command:

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

Make sure you put spaces after "rm" and after /var/db/
Make sure the A in Apple is capitalized.

It shouldn't give you an error if you type the command properly (it will not say anything).

Once done, reboot normally again.

What happens?

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

now that doesn't even work.

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
I assume you tried several time?

I'm afraid this confirms my previous suspicion...if the computer is behaving erratically, we can be certain there is faulty hardware at hand -either the board or the hard drive.

Again, I'd be happy to locate a reliable repair facility close by that will restore functionality to your Mac.

Thank you!

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

that's okay. I have a place. Will I be charged for this?

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.

It is up to you whether you wish to pay for my time or not.

As the customer, I prefer to leave this to your judgement, and will gladly accept your decision.

Thank you for your time and patience!

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Since I'm not totally satisfied with your answer and because I'm on a very tight budget, I'm not going to pay you. However, after I get my regular people to look at it, if your diagnosis was correct, I would gladly pay you at that time if there is a way to contact you.

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
That is very fair of you, and I appreciate it.

I will go ahead and request our customer service to process a refund for you now.

Thank you,

J.