Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My email stopped coming a few days ago. I am unclear how to

My email stopped coming a few days ago. I am unclear how to get it functioning again. I have no idea of which settings need to be changed

Fred Muskal
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

system 10.6.8

3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. It is posted as an Answer because of site rules but it is really just a diagnostic test. So please don't Rate to Finish just Reply to Expert when done.

Open Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities and double click Disk Utility. Highlight your hard drive, usually Macintosh HD, and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Uverse is my ISP, if that helps.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If Uverse is also your email provider yes, is it? What comes after the@ symbol on your email address?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

brainybears.com

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Is your email hosted by AT&T? Did you check the drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Email is hosted by AT & T. I did check the drive and it was OK.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Are you using the Apple Mail program? Do you have web access to your hosted account?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I use Apple Mail 4.6 and have web access to my account with NVC.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions? If so open Mail and select your Inbox and go to Mailbox / Rebuild.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I rebuilt the mailbox, but it was the same as when it spontaneously rebuilt (or you rebuilt it). I'd like to know if you did it or it was spontaneous combustion, so to speak. I'm happy and will sign off the $$ happily

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No I didn't do it... you did... I assume the repair forced it. So it is working now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, but I didn't repair the disk because it was OK. Life is filled with mystery, but you solved the issue, albeit a few moments too late. Thanx,

Fred

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK no then the Permission repair fixed it. Great!!

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above. If you are not satisfied, please don't Rate to Finish and Reply to Expert and let me know what I can do to change that. Thanks.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.