Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Hello Daniel! I hope everything is good on your side. My question

Hello Daniel! I hope everything is good on your side. My question is about iCal. I sent an invitation to a friend to share a calendar. He is also an Apple user and has an iCloud account. He clicked on the link he got by mail to join my calendar, but he gets a message that says, "Couldn't join this calendar because it is no longer available." I checked my account and there is a message next to that calendar that indicates the sharing status as "pending."
There is some background information you might need to know; some time ago I was already sharing this calendar whit this person and other people. Then, I stopped sharing it because there was no need to continue. Now we are working on a new project and I need to share it with one of them again. Would it be possible that he cannot join the same calendar because I had stopped sharing it once before, regardless of the new invitation?

Thank you for your assistance!

Oscar
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Oscar.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

What country are you in? It can make a difference and if I knew I have forgotten.
The reason is some places do not like free sharing of info.

You might try removing them as a participant and then add them back in. This may reset the calendar.

Next check to make sure all time zones, dates and times are correct, that can really mess things up if one disagrees with another.

Then back the info up, delete the calendar and restore it from backup.

I am giving general trouble shooting ideas, let me know where you are if the above does not help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Daniel. We both are in the US (Alexandria, VA). I have already tried removing him as a participant. I'm sure our time zones are the same (we are sharing different calendars because of other projects, but this one is the one that is giving issues).

I have not tried to back up the info and deleting the calendar. Would you please tell me how to do that?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
With iCal open select Export from the File drop down menu.
graphic
Select iCal Archive.
Select where to save it and you can name it if you like.
graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I exported the calendar, but when I tried to delete it I got the following message:

"The server responded with an error.

Access to account “iCloud” is not permitted.

The server responded:
“403”
to operation CalDAVRemoveCalendarQueueableOperation."

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok, now open System Preferences/iCloud. Sign out and back in, this should reset the connection.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I followed all the steps you indicated. After all my calendars were updated again I sent the invitation one more time. My friend is telling me that he still gets the same message "This calendar is no longer shared."

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
This may help explain what Apple did.

A possible workaround and maybe a fix is to create a new calendar, import all data from the one that is giving problems and try sharing that.

Make sure that it is a public type calendar, the options are share with all and only with invitees.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Daniel. I also thought of changing the name of the calendar. I will try to see what happens. Otherwise, I will just create a new one.

I appreciate your assistance! Have a great day! Please send me the rating request to give you my happy face. ;-)

Oscar

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I have not found a real answer to this in the Apple data bases or in the forums.
It may be on his end instead of yours.
Have nimbi sign out and of iCloud, if he uses it, and back in.
Try creating a new calendar with some phony dates set , invite him and see what happens. You might send that link to me and I will see if it works on my end.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.