MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

I HAVE A MINI MAC AND I LOST MY PASSWORD XXXXX DO NOT HAVE A D

Customer Question

I HAVE A MINI MAC AND I LOST MY PASSWORD XXXXX DO NOT HAVE A DISK
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 1 year ago.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

MacTechTrainer :

I am sorry for the challenges you are having with this issue.

MacTechTrainer :

I do have a workaround process to help you get back into your Mac Mini

MacTechTrainer :

but, it requires you to create a new user Administrator Login account

Customer :

YES

MacTechTrainer :

and then once in that new user account, you would have to delete just your locked out user account, BUT, you would save all of your files and folders from that account

MacTechTrainer :

would you be willing to give this a try?

MacTechTrainer :

I have no other alternatives other than you having to purchase an install disc to fix this password XXXXX

Customer :

I CANNOT SEE YOUR ANSWERS

MacTechTrainer :

Are you able to see my typing here?

Customer :

YES

MacTechTrainer :

Ok so with the information provided would you like to try this workaround I have suggested?

MacTechTrainer :

Please type normally if you would, and refrain from the Caps, only because it will be easier reading in normal lower case text for me

MacTechTrainer :

thanks

Customer :

I DID NOT RECIVE ANY INFORMATION

MacTechTrainer :

I have not provided it yet

MacTechTrainer :

I am asking if you would like to perform this new Admin login user creation and deletion of the current locked user (while saving all files of that user account) process

Customer :

OK WHAT NOW

MacTechTrainer :

No Caps please

Customer :

ok

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks, one moment if you would, I will type those instructions out

MacTechTrainer :

few minutes

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for your patience

MacTechTrainer :

here it comes:

MacTechTrainer :

1. Reboot your Mac
2. Hold apple key + s key down after you hear the chime.
(Apple Command + S keys on newer Macs)
3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting Return (or Enter) after each line typed):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login to the new Admin User account, you can delete the previous user account if you like. Let me know and I will provide you the steps to perform this action.

Customer :

i just got the last line

MacTechTrainer :

Ok let me try this for you.

MacTechTrainer :

1. Reboot your Mac

MacTechTrainer :

2. Hold down Apple key + S key, after you hear the Apple chime

MacTechTrainer :

3.) When you get the text prompt, enter in these terminal commands in order to create a new Admin account (hit Return or Enter after each line you type)

MacTechTrainer :

mount -uw /

MacTechTrainer :

rm /var/db/ .AppleSetupDone

MacTechTrainer :

shutdown -h now

MacTechTrainer :

This last command will shut down your Mac Mini

MacTechTrainer :

Then go to #4 and reboot up to your new Admin User account

MacTechTrainer :

Did these lines come out better for you this time?

MacTechTrainer :

My sincere apologies, with the way our chat interface is acting today

Customer :

yes but u went to fast

MacTechTrainer :

Its ok

Customer :

can u send this to my e-mail

MacTechTrainer :

I just wanted to just make sure the information was coming out so you could see it

MacTechTrainer :

then I would go over it step by step with you

Customer :

ok

MacTechTrainer :

Now tell me if you would, do you at least see steps 1 -4?

MacTechTrainer :

if not, I will have to set up another way for you to see what I am submitting to you

Customer :

i have k+5 key

MacTechTrainer :

It appears this chat is not cooperating well, so what I can do is switch to our Q & A (Question and Answer) mode if you like

Customer :

ok

MacTechTrainer :

it would be like us sending emails to each other

Customer :

ok

MacTechTrainer :

only in real time live

Customer :

ok

MacTechTrainer :

Ok I will do that now and then I will repost all of my steps and we will go over these together

MacTechTrainer :

I will not stop until I help you get back into your Mac Mini

Customer :

ok

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hi Ray,

Thank you again Sir, for your patience.

Here are the steps again (two complete, but simple processes) to get your Mac Mini user access back:
STEP# X
Create New User Administrator account without Mac OS X install disc

1. Reboot your Mac
(Apple Command + S keys on newer Macs)
3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting Return (or Enter) after each line):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

------

This is the first part. Now if you have a Windows keyboard you are using, let me know.
Othewise, these steps should work for you.

Thanks, I await your update.

Regards,

-Terry
Hello Ray,

I have not received any response from you since I posted my last response.
Have you attempted Step# X in the process, to create a new User Admin account without a Mac OS X install disc?

If so, here is Step # X
STEP#2

Steps to delete previous user but save that user's files and folders:
5.) Click on the Apple menu icon located in the upper left corner of your screen and select System Preferences, then go to Accounts

6.) Now I want to to follow the rest of the process of deleting the user account, but saving that user account's files, via this article:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-delete-a-user-account-in-mac-os-x-snow-leop.html
How to Delete a User Account- but save that user account's files

I want to provide you this very simple guide, primarily because it has graphical images so you can see just what to look for when completing the last part of this process.

I will watch for your update. Please feel free to reply back to this session when you are back online.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i tried pushig the command key + the s key but knothing happens

Hello Ray,

Good to see you back online again sir. My apologies however, for the difficulty you are having getting through this process.

If I may ask, when you do press the Apple Command + S key at start up, do you see a black background with white text that looks like this this screenshot example:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Let me know when you have a chance sir.

I will watch for your next update.

Best Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no it turns grey then back to blue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It turns grey then blue

Thanks for the update Ray. My apologies for the length of time to get back to you.
I was researching your issue a bit further to determine if there may be more issues with your Mac Mini, than just the attempt I am having you make to create a new user.

With that noted, I would like you to attempt to try that accessing the Single user view again, but before you do so, I would like you to proceed to perform a corrective procedure to make sure your Mac Mini will work with this original process I have provided you, for creating a new Admin User account.

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:
• First, hold in your power button for approximately 10 seconds to do a hard shutdown.

• Once your Mac is shutdown, you will need to perform what is called a PRAM reset (Parameter RAM)
This should help with the freezing issue:

• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously .

• Turn on the computer.
• Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

• Now, hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the third time.

• Release the keys and allow the Mac to start up.

• Turn off your Mac Mini, and then turn it back on and go back to the original procedure I gave you and now try.

Let me know if you run into that gray-blue screen issue again, after this corrective process. If not, you should be looking at a new user Admin account very shortly..

Thanks!

-Terry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried it many times it still comes up gray then blue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This doesnt seem like it is going to work is there a disk i can purchase to redo this

Hi Ray,

Thanks for at least attempting the latest process.

There is a way to purchase the retail Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard boxed edition directly from the Apple Online Store per this link: Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard -$19.99

It is good to see that they have re-released this on their website for the low price of $19.99.

If you decide to purchase a new copy of Snow Leopard, just come back to this session and I will be glad to continue assisting you toward a final resolution.

Thanks again for allowing me to assist you thus far.

Respectfully,

-Terry