Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

I mistakenly put my Safari application in trash, and when I

I mistakenly put my Safari application in trash, and when I went to use Safari I got the message that it was in trash. I opened trash as directed, but lost the icon as I was trying to mo ve it into the ?HD folder. Help please

Sorry to hear that safari is lost...:(

May I know what version of the mac are you using? To find it, click on the apple logo at the top left corner of the computer and then on "about this mac".

Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Version 10.6.8

Thank you, Carol.

Let's try downloading the safari from the following website

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1569

Let me know whether that helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot use Safari of course, but I tried on google chrome, by typing in http://support.apple.com/kbDL1569 Is that right?, because the computer said it could not match this address. Help, please, Carol

Yes, you can download it from google chrome. There is a "/" symbol after kb.

No problem, I have just added the link to that website. Just click on it and you should be directed to the website. Just click on the download button there and it should start downloading.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1569

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the link, which I used, and then pressed the blue download button, but do not seem to be any further ahead. I cannot use safari when i click on the icon, and cannot see any way to use what is downloaded. Carol

Once you have downloaded that application, it will show up in your desktop (or in your chrome download list).

Or you can go to Finder\applications\ and you will find safari.dmg file there.

Double click on it and it will start installing.

Let me know if you have already installed and that you have the safari icon on the dock.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Vinod. After my original mistake I compounded it after successfully finding Safari when I opened Trash, by trying to move it to the dock, over the original icon, which was still in place, even though it was not working. Much later I discovered by googling that I should move the icon into applications.

By the time I discovered this fact had mislaid the icon; I think I may have simply accidentally moved it up in the trash when I tried to move the icon as above, and really thought I had made it disappear completely from the screen, leaving only the useless icon in the dock.

Somehow or other when floundering about I discovered that the icon was actually still in trash; I had not realised that I could scroll the trash screen which I had opened, until I flicked it up by accident.

By that time I had read something else about it, which said do not try to move the icon from trash back to the dock, but into Applications. I did so and Voila! I am back in business, crisis finally over.

Thank you very much for your help, and I have also learned a little bit more about my computer. Carol

Great to know your issue is reaolved, Carol...:)

Have a great day!

You can also find support for your MacBook by going to

www.apple.com/support