Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

After restart several times on macbook pro, cannot open anything

After restart several times on macbook pro, cannot open anything - mouse works, can point at things but not do anything.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Restart and hold the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo if it starts up OK restart normally. Let me known is there is any change.

Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That seems to have one the trick - thank you very much!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Great!!

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above. If you are not satisfied, please don't Rate to Finish and Reply to Expert and let me know what I can do to change that. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just rated your answer excellent - which it was - but have since found something that doesn't seem to be working as before. Can't get any sound now. Itunes doesn't play for example. The volume keys on keyboard not responding.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Version 10.6.8

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Does it have a battery you can easily remove?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know. I don't think I'd be comfortable removing anything... not very technical!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
It would be pretty obvious on the bottom of the laptop if there are no latches then it is not one you can remove. If that is the case do this:

Resetting the SMC & PRAM on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Should I disconnect my external hard drive before I do this?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Not necessary but yes lets keep everything simple.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much! Sound back on now and everything else looks to be okay. Thanks again!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Great!