Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

My iMac with OSX.6.8 will not install the 2012 Turbo Tax Deluxe.

My iMac with OSX.6.8 will not install the 2012 Turbo Tax Deluxe. i get the message that it is the wrong type of iMac. What can I do?
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Your Mac running OS X 10.6.8 can run the current version of Turbo Tax.

The message of the wrong type of iMac is strange. Can you please give me the exact wording that it gives you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello; The icon of Turbotax gets a white cross out circle on the icon and says that it cannot be installed because my mac is the wrong type. I tried several times to install it with the same result

Do you have the Mac version or the Windows? That may be the problem.
Or you may have a bad disk.
Two ways to fix that, one return the disk either to where you bought it or directly to Turbo Tax.

The second may be downloading the version you need and returning the disk for a refund.

Beyond that there really is not a 'wrong' type of iMac.

Does that help?
Dan, I have learned that there is a 'wrong type of iMac'. It seems that you need to be in 64 bit mode as opposed to 32.
This will help determine that.

This is how to switch 'on the fly'.

Try that and then try installing Turbo Tax again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks so much for your help. I know what to do now, so at least I'm not wandering around helpless

Happy to have been of service. If you run into more difficulty please let me know.