Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I did a 0 erase with mac extened jounal on laptop with tiger

I did a 0 erase with mac extened jounal on laptop with tiger 10.4.8. when reinstalled from discs 1 and 2. There is problem with permissions. Cannot even force quit finder (always open) most files greyed out. ran disc repair and permission repair. said all ok. Now in process of ) erase again. Did I reinstall discs wrong.
Did you boot fro your Disk One and then open the Disk Utility to erase the drive?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes- 0 pass erase withextended journal

Try erasing with the option to Zero Out Data in Options
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i am reding it now as "writing 0s to disc"i believe under "security"tab is zer out data. I also did a check of cd disc befor installing. Did I make an error. Am i supposed to shut down before proceeding to reinstall ? did not do that. should i

Did you choose the Device above Macintosh HD?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i read online I should chose the second one down HD, i did.I think. if I made a mistake and chose the top one 111 fujitsu.. is that irreversable

Well basically you have to rename it and it is low level format when you choose the device I would do that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i do not know what low level format is. I am 5 minutes away from another 0 pass erase of HD. I am not sure last night if I chose the correct one -top or HD. What could be the reason for the lack of permissions or not being able to eject finder. If I did choose the wrong HD and erased the top one by accident how do I fix. And could this be the problem

No that would not cause a permissions error. It is not a different HD it is just the actual device name and not the formatted volume. If you install a clean system after you erase the drive it should be perefect no errors.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not a mac expert as I have (ugh) windows. I am restoring for son. Please bear with my ignorance. I do not know the proper reinstal after 0 pass erase. online i read too many options. Please give me the correct procedures. I renamed HD to mac HD I do not know what I did wrong and do not know the "format"answer. Please help me I will tip you well as I am desperate and do not want to damage my sons mac 4min to completion os 0 pass erase

If you already erased it you can't lose anything. Put in the system disk and reboot holding the letter C key until you see the Apple Logo. Choose language and continue, then go to Utilities at the top of the screen to Disk Utility chose the hard drive Device on the left above MacHD or whatever you called it. Then choose the Erase tab name the drive Macintosh HD, format Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in Options choose Zero Out Data that can take a while. When it is done just quit the Disk Utility and you will be at the install screen. Install.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just finished doing exactly that. It is done. Should I also erase free space to delete files ( i had to restore beacause my son had virus) ? If I should tell me. Then after I just exit disc utility- right? then do I need to exit anything else or restart to reboot ( one solution online) or just continue with installation?

Really there are not any viruses for Mac? No you are erasing the whole drive already it is ALL free space. When you quit Disk Utility you will see the install screen, just Install it will take it from there. It is a Mac not Windows, you'll see. Im here if you need me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

if you knew the lime wir and free music apps he downloaded! The mac was crashed. So I will try again. After install I ran disc ckech repair permissions etc-will do again. It did not work last time . Do you have any other permission repair tips before I start instal.

There is nothing to check or repair yet. When it is installed and rebooted connect to your internet and then go to the Apple Logo to Software Update. Let me know after.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok did 3 software updates before. I will try now and exit . I will get ahold of you again if problem persists. Thanks

OK but you are starting over and they will have to be downloaded again. Good luck
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

just starting download. Thanks

You mean install right? Zero Out Data would take some time?