John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I have a virus which appears while using Safari. It is there

I have a virus which appears while using Safari. It is there when I open Safari and it is unaffected by restarting my Mac. It does not permit me to re-set Safari, two formerly useful rescue tricks. Any thoughts on how to deal with this pest ?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information. Please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Can you describe what you are seeing more clearly?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is a window requesting that I click on a box to get further info - presumably something they want to sell me. There is only the one box to click and I have not done so.

On the pull down safari menu, all of the options are grey except Quit Safari. Re-set safari is in grey.

I can also close the offending window by Force Quitting Safari.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX there any other text in the window offering more info?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

some text but I don't recall what it said and I am not at my computer.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, this is rather important for troubleshooting purposes.

Do you know what version of OS X is running on the Mac?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no. sorry

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
You can try the following, it should work for most versions of Safari and OS X.

In the Finder, click the "Go" menu in the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click "Home"

Open the Library folder*
(*NOTE: If you can't find the Library folder, In the Finder, click the "Go" menu in the menu bar at the top of the screen and then press the OPTION key on your keyboard and choose Library.)

Move the "Safari" folder to your desktop.

Open the Caches folder

Move the "com.apple.Safari" folder to the trash.

Go back to the Library folder

Open the Preferences folder

Move the "com.apple.Safari.plist" file to the trash

Go back to the Library folder

Look for a folder named "Saved Application State" and open if it exists.

If you open the above folder, look for the file/folder "com.apple.Safari.savedState" and move it to the trash.

Now, restart your Mac and then try opening Safari.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion prior to rating. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question and if so please don't forget to positively rate my service .

Thanks and good luck,

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry