Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Hello, I have a MacBook Pro laptop from around 2009 or 10.

Hello, I have a MacBook Pro laptop from around 2009 or 10. My operating system is 10.8.3. I cannot get sound out of the speakers. When I go to System Preferences, Sound, and output, the only option that is there is Digital Out, Optical Digital-out port. How can I get sound to come out of the internal speakers again? Thank you, Ken.
Hello Ken, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

The answer for that is"
A tiny switch in the headphone port is stuck in the open position.
There are a limited number of ways to fix this.
Look inside the headphone port and see if there is a red light, if so then the switch is stuck.
The first (this usually works) is to use a headphone plug like what is on the end of headphones, plug it in and out and maybe wiggle it (GENTLY). Do that and try the sound. If it now works, problem solved, if not try again.

If that should fail then take it to an APple store, a tech will repeat that process and may be successful if you were not.

If that totally fails then the only other fix is logic board replacement.

There are no other ways, sorry. The above works 99% of the time.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dan, thanks for your quick answer. It worked, everything is good again. Thanks, Ken.

Glad to hear it Ken. Enjoy.