Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have a macbook air and I cannot get it to recognize a simple

I have a macbook air and I cannot get it to recognize a simple usb mouse. mouse works fine on a windows computer. checked mouse and trackpad settings and they look OK
Go to the Apple Logo at the upper left of your screen to About This Mac then More Info, (also System Report if you are running Lion or above) select USB on the left do you see your mouse listed on the right?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no it was not listed there at all, just the trackpad and camera. I did add something called steer mouse just now, and that allowed me to run a USB mouse, I'd hate to have to pay for that program if there is a way to add it.

Not all mice will work with a Mac it has to be compatible. Who makes it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it was a cheap generic mouse I had laying around, so if I get a mouse that specifically mentions OSX then I should be ok?

Yes most work but that must be an old one. If it has special buttons or anything it will have to have Mac software but a normal two button with scroll wheel should work as long as Mac is listed as compatible.