Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Suis sur MacOs 10.8.3 iMacSouhaite mettre à jour mon Office

Customer Question

Suis sur MacOs 10.8.3 iMac
Souhaite mettre à jour mon Office Mac 2008 (de 12;0 à 12.1 et suite) mais la mise à jour se refuse ! Pourquoi ? Que dois-je faire ?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Parle vous English?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Can you repost your question in English?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As per your request, I did post my question already yesterday, I repete my question:

I wish to update my Office Mac 2008 (12.0 to 12.1 and more).

My iMac 10.8.3 refuse it. Why ? What shall I do ?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Is there an error message?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Try installing this first then open Word and go to Help / Check for Updates.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35381

Let me know, s'il vous plaît.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

as per your request I downloaded AutoUpdate installer and that's it....

What next ?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did you open Word and go to Help / Check for Updates.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes and I found an update which is actually downloading, it is the 12.1.

Once Word is updated should I do the same step by step until I get 12.36 ?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, i'll do it that way, if problem occurs I,ll get back to you or Just Answer,thanks a lot again

George

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK let me know.

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above. If you are not satisfied, please don't Rate to Finish and Reply to Expert and let me know what I can do to change that. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Problem, the same again, it says:

"Office 2008 SP1 Update (12.1.0) ne peut être installé sur ce disque (MacHD 716GO disponible sur 999 au total); Une version du logiciel requise pour installer cette mise à jour est introuvable sur ce volume."

what can I do ?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I assume that means you don't have enought room on the hard drive.

I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, will do all that; I presume that will take some time.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Half an hour max.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did restart the computer while holding the two keys cmd & R but now I do not quite understand your last sentence:

"when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk."

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You may have to choose your language first. Then on the next screen you will see that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it's not the language that bothers me, it's the technique, I do not know where is Disk utility and how I Verify Disk, then Repair Permission, please clarify

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

What do you see when you boot and hold Command - R? The first screen should be Choose your language, then this screen, do you see Disk Utility?

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll reboot again because I do not get the same screen as you show

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is persistant, it shows not the screen with utilities.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hold the power button for about 10 seconds, then hit it again to start the computer and hold the Option or ALT key until you see a list of boot partitions. Choose Recovery HD then select the Disk Utility and Continue. Select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Action verify and repair accomplished on permission and disk; now will try again to install 12.1, OK ?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No not yet. Did the Verify Disk fail?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, it indicated to repair, so I did for both, permission and disk

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK Disk Repair was successful I assume. Restart the computer. Right click on Macintosh HD and tell me what is listed next to Capacity and Available.

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Capacity : 999,35 Go

Available : 717,36 Go

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK yes then now try updating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I will try tomorrow , it's already 1'20" AM and I'm dead tired..... I'll speak to you in the morning _ What's your time there where you are (NYC?)

Good night

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I'm in Chicago and I will be up ealry but I have an appt atXXXXXand I will be back by aboutXXXXXUSA if that is ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that's ok. Good night

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK good luck. Bon soir.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Problem, once more, it says:

"Office 2008 SP1 Update (12.1.0) ne peut être installé sur ce disque (MacHD 717GO disponible sur 999 au total); Une version du logiciel requise pour installer cette mise à jour est introuvable sur ce volume."

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure you are using the Word / Help / check for updates? Can you open all the office apps?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

some computer specialist said to me today to reinstall the original 12.0 with the disk and try to update again.

I'm in fact right now reinstalling Office, I'll get back to you asap.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes but you should uninstall first. See here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2500821
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Naturally I did it prior to installation

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Office 2008 12.0 installed properly.

Trying to update to 12.1 the problem persists, it says again:

"Office 2008 SP1 Update (12.1.0) ne peut être installé sur ce disque (MacHD 715GO disponible sur 999 au total); Une version du logiciel requise pour installer cette mise à jour est introuvable sur ce volume."

Please help me !...... Otherwise I will definitely abandon Microsoft on the most applications !

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok do all the Office apps run ok?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I think I got it:

Go to System Preferences/ Security & Privacy under the General tab: Allow applications downloaded from check the box "Anywhere".

graphic

Then manually download and run this updater for the MAU. Microsoft AutoUpdate 2.1.1

Quit the updater BEFORE running installer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I accomplished all requested and described above, and the update has failed; it says:

"l'installation de ce logiciel requiert 8ko d'espace libre."

I do not understand this, there is 716 GO available !.......

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
The problem is the old 2008 installers don't work with Mountain Lion correctly I'm sure Office 2011 would install and update without a problem but it seems you have about had it with Office as many of us have. Let me know. I know it is late there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

First of all, I want to confirm your excellent attitude as expert on MacIntosh and overall your professionalism. The reason I decided to abandon Office and replace it by Apple's Works 09.3, is because of Microsoft staff in France that was not courageous enough to pursue helping me as you did, explaining the problem existing between there Office 2008 and Mountain Lion. Anyhow, thanks for your help, that was a good try. So long Mike

Georges Mandel/France

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Thanks you can also try the free Open Office:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/

Sorry about that.