Cris
Cris, Mac Specialist
Experience:  4 years Mac Specialist, Apple Certified.

Trying to restore ipad and after I connect to itunes it says

Trying to restore ipad and after I connect to itunes it says "ipad software update server could not be contacted". Not sure what the next step is. Can someone help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hold the Sleep and Menu buttons together until you see the Apple logo then restart the computer, let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did that and it says to connect to itunes where I'm having the problem.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You restarted the computer already?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did what you said and the apple logo appeared but then it says "connect to itunes".

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes but did you restart the computer too?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Just restarted the computer.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Open iTunes... I assume the iPad is plugged into the computer, do you see the iPad listed on the left under Devices?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It did before. Now it doesn't.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Unplug it from USB and plug back in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

says itunes has detected ipad in recovery mode. you must restore this ipad before it can be used with itunes.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Click on yes or OK or Restore whatever it says
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did that. It says my my ipad software is up to date but when I hit restore it says it cannot connect to the ipad software update server.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You are doing this in iTunes right not on the iPad? Can you sign into your iTunes Store account?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes in itunes on my PC. I am logged into my itunes account now.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Are you on Mac or Windows?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

windows

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Go to Start / Apple Software Update and make sure you have the latest software.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay. it's updating itunes.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK try again after
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

try what again? to restore in itunes?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
After install restart the computer and unplug the iPad and plug it back in when started up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did that and now it's giving me the same message as before.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
There may just be an actual problem with the update server but it is good you updated iTunes. What version of iOS is on the iPad now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure, but it's the original ipad and i've never updated the iOS.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok try this:

Okay, unplug the iPad cord from the computer.

Restart your computer and then load iTunes

* Connect the iPad to the computer with iTunes open and use a DIFFERENT USB port than you normally do.

* Turn off the iPad (hold down the sleep/wake button on the top) until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device simply shuts off, if locked up.

* Hold down the sleep/wake button AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

* Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button

* iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click ok and continue along for the restore

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again.

When the device is in DFU (Device Firmware Update) recovery mode, the screen will be black. If you see the iTunes logo on the screen then you have gone into normal restore mode rather than DFU mode. Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've tried 10 times and I cannot get into DFU recovery mode.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK sorry I'm out of ideas I’ll opt out and see if another expert has an idea. Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok ... so do I need to re-submit my original question? Do you know if I still make the full payment?

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com I am Cris and will be glad to assist you with your question.

Can you tell me what operating system you are using? XP, Vista or Windows 7?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Windows XP

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
OK,

Let's try the following:

First close iTunes on your PC.

Click on the "Start" button, then "Run". In the Run box type CMD and hit enter. A black DOS window will appear.

On the command line type in the following:

netsh winsock reset

Then hit enter,you will be prompted to restart the computer, restart it.

After the restart connect your iPad and try to reset it.

Please let me know the outcome. Reply back to me BEFORE selecting a negative rating. I will answer your follow ups.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't get to run. I don't see that option.

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Click on "START".

You will seen RUN at the bottom right of the Start menu.

Please follow the rest of the instructions carefully.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It did not prompt me to restart. It said "the requested operation requires elevation".

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Can we setup a remote connection so I can log in and take a look?

I can send you the details if you would like to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes please

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
On your browser go to Join.me

When you reach the site click on the orange play button on the left side under Share.

A prompt for the software will appear, run it.

The join session window will appear at the top with a session number. Please reply back to me with it so I can join the session.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It says the application download did not succeed and I should check my network connection or contact my adminstrator.

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
It looks like you have a network issue.

When did you start having downloading issues, just recently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think just recently. Not sure.

When you say "network" what exactly does it mean?

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Your network I mean your router which supplies your internet and network.

However let's try a system restore on your PC. It will not affect any data just a simple way to undo system changes.

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

On the Welcome to System Restore page, click to select the Restore my computer to an earlier time option, and then click Next.

On the Select a Restore Point page select a date to before the issue started happening.

Your PC will restore then restart. Test out your issue afterwards and let me know the outcome.
Cris, Mac Specialist
Experience: 4 years Mac Specialist, Apple Certified.