Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I am studying abroad and used up all of my dvd player region

I am studying abroad and used up all of my dvd player region switches. I looked online and saw that people recommended downloading decryption software (didnt seem work for me). I also tried downloading VLC and XinePlayer but I am getting an error message that it is unable to open the MRL 'dvdread:///dev/rdisk3#1-1=' Is there anything that I can do?
Go to Apple Logo to About this Mac then More Info what is listed next to Disk Burning?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Firmware Revision: HC10

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)

Cache: 1024 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO

Media: To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose View > Refresh

I actually need the line above all that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK this can be a little complicated and there is a slight chance you can ruin your drive by installing region free firmware incorrectly. If you feel able to do this I suggest you look here:

If you feel that will be too complicated for you I would forget about it. Get an external drive. If you want to try I am here to help you.

You want the:

2010-08-24 UJ-898_HD10_Stock_RPC1

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that seems above my pay grade thanks anyway

OK then I suggest you get an external drive and only use it for the region you can't play on the internal drive any longer, they are very cheap. Good luck