Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Hello... I am editing on the iMovie 11 and working an Ice Show

Customer Question

Hello... I am editing on the iMovie 11 and working an Ice Show of almost 2 hours long.

I finalize it and export to my desktop and review it before sending it to iDVD for completion... everything is great, all the audio and video is good! So I send the 1080p file to iDVD and 2:30 hours later it's complete. However, on the DVD at the 65 minute mark the music (audio) from the show completely disappears for the rest of the show,
the video portion is just fine.

I've tried re-editing it by removing the video where the audio disappeared - didn't work!
I finalized it again in 720 and Medium size files just in case, but the audio problem remains. By the way the audio from the show is live!

I have been using iMovie for the past 3 years and have done over 80 events without
this problem!

Look forward to hearing from you.

XXX-XXX-XXXX XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike... Version: 10.8.2 - Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mike... the answer to that was "The volume Mac OSX base system is OK!" John

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
That is not Macintosh HD did you check that? Was Verify Disk OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will re-do that again and get back to you... John

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK Macintosh check out OK in Green!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Then you Repaired Permissions? If so restart and go to the Apple Logo to Software Update.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mike... sorry for the delay, had some server issues and spent some time on Software downloading. What's next?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok go to the finder and then hold Option and select Go at the top of the screen to Library open Preferences drag com.apple.imovie??? Files to the trash and restart . Try iMovie again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They are 4 titles under com.apple.imovie:

imovie8.plist

imovieApp.plist

imovieApp.plist.CIPjsgs

imovieApp.plist.MkGVj9U

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Yes trash all of them don't empty the trash and restart.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Mike...

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mike... After finalizing the file, I sent it to iDVD for completion and 2 hours later the same problem exists... no audio at the same point on the DVD!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
iDVD has been discontinued so there isn’t much support for it. Have you tried just exporting as .mov and see if the problem still exists when you play it with Quicktime Player? If not you can then burn it with Toast or there are other free burning tools. I would try that just to see if the sound is there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK I'll try your advise on exporting as .mov... John

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK let me know I will be offline soon. We can continue tomorrow if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok come back when ready.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Special price today on this miDVD software if that works:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/midvd-pro/id529728401
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll check out the miDVD software and get back to you! John

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did the export work with the audio?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mike... The audio works on the export to the Quick Time Player!

The miDVD Pro did not complete the burning... file too big!

I've emailed them and waiting for an answer... John

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK you may need to compress it to fit are you usung dual layer DVDs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Michael,

In the end I resorted to my own devices… I completely re-edited the video in iMovie again
and followed the same procedure as before and the DVD came out 100% sound… go figure?!

So no, I don’t know what the problem was or will I ever know?!

As for your expertise, thank you for quick responses… it was worth a try!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Well of course that would work it was a problem with the Project we knew that. I wouldn't have made that an Answer. iDVD will eventually not work anymore so I suggest you look at other ways to do it, that is why I was going in that direction. Since the QuickTime Export worked but you never told me if you were using Dual Layer DVDs other paid programs like Toast will compress it to fit within reason. Anyway good luck in future.