Jason Jones, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.
30759776

HI. I was online with my mini of about 5 yrs.- just fine one

HI. I was online with my mini of about 5 yrs.- just fine one second, the next I thought I had a power outage and lost everything. Now, no matter what I try, it will not power up.I've tried another good power supply, different outlets, the suggestions and tricks I found on line. Nothing. Dead as a doornail.

Jason :

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

I wish that I had good news for you, but it appears that the problem is that your Mini Mac is damaged.

I assume that you had the mini plugged into the power outlet directly, without a surge protector.

Jason :

There are no quick fixes to this problem. Your Mac will either require replacement or repair.

Jason :

The 'power outtage' was more likely a 'power surge' that knocked a lot of items off. When such a thing occurs, the power surge may possibly damage any item that is not protected with a surge protector.

Jason :

Please, keep in mind that the site is asking for your rating below. They are asking you to rate my service and help and not that of Apple or your failing Mac.

Jason :

The only way that this site will give me any credit for my time or compensate me for my time is if you rate me below.

Please, do not forget to click the Happy face on the bottom of this page and click Submit, if you are satisfied.

If you wish to request me personally for any future questions, you can do so at the following link: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-computertechmaster/

Thank you,
- Jason

Customer:

Hi Jason. The unit was plugged into a surge protector, along with 5 other things, and none of the other things were damaged or even turned off, including the monitor for the computer. The power supply for this computer works fine- I checked it with another mini that I have. I know that your answer isn't right at all, but I suppose without more information that was the first answer that came to mind. Thanks anyway. Bruce

Jason :

Hello

Jason :

.

Jason :

You said that there was a power outtage but no other devices turned off?

Jason :

When you say power outage, you just mean that the mini does not power on?

Customer:

No. There wasn't a power surge or outage. I was using that as an analogy only.

Jason :

You were using an analogous statement to describe what?

Customer:

I should have described it more clearly.

Jason :

Okay.

Jason :

That is okay.

Jason :

I am just trying to understand.

Jason :

So, in effect, what happened is that your Mini just stopped working recently?

Customer:

To describe what the instant of loss was "like." I lost computer power/function completely in a second. NO power outage.

Jason :

Okay.

Jason :

So in other words, your computer turned off?

Jason :

Thank you for the clarification.

Jason :

I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

Customer:

I was on line one instant, and the next, yes, the computer just turned of.

Jason :

Being that you have tried other known-working adapters with the Mini, it still indicates that the problem is within the Mini. either the power device, the mainboard, or one of the other items in the mini has faulted.

Customer:

I agree.

Jason :

Ok.

Customer:

Is it toast?

Jason :

So, the route to fixing this would be to bring it to an Apple repair shop and have them run some tests on it.

Jason :

If I was a betting man, which I am, I would bet that it is toast.

Jason :

Anything can be fixed, but the fix may cost more than the unit is worth, if you get my drift.

Customer:

How much do you think that will cost. the mini is only worth 100. and I just spent more than half that getting confirmation from you of what I already know.

Jason :

If I were in your shoes, I would toss the mini out. Most shops will charge around $150 just to run some tests on it.

Customer:

Thanks. It isn't even heavy enough to be a boat anchor. Why do you think this happened?

Jason :

Well, I know why it happens sometimes.

Jason :

Often times, older laptops build up dust on the mainboard & computer chips. The dust acts as an insulator and heats the chips up.

Jason :

Over time, that heat gets hotter and causes more damage.

Jason :

When that occurs, the chips pop, bust, or just stop working.

Jason :

That is one possibility.

Customer:

Thanks Jason.