Cris, Mac Specialist
Experience:  4 years Mac Specialist, Apple Certified.

I live in NJ, but earkier this month I was given an iPad Mini

I live in NJ, but earkier this month I was given an iPad Mini at a conference in Dubai. There is no Facetime icon on the opening screen. How can I get this installed or activated?

Many thanks

Ron Clarke

Thank you for contacting I am Cris and will be glad to assist you with your question.

From the Home Screen swipe towards right to bring up the Search box.

In the search box type in Facetime does the icon appear on the list?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

First make sure your Date & Time also time zone are all set correctly.

From the home screen tap on Settings>General>Date & Time.

Then plug the iPad to your PC via the USB cable and open iTunes.

Click on the iPad and check for any iOS updates. If there is a available update proceed with the download and install.

When it completes check for the Facetime icon.

Let me know how you make out. Reply back to me BEFORE selecting a negative rating. I will answer your follow ups.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot see any IOS updates

If your iPad is connected to WiFi please try it from the device.

From the Home screen tap Settings>General>Software Update.

Do you have any available update?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It says" Your software is up to date"

I did read somewhere that some countries had not allowed facteime on the ipad. Could this be the case with Dubai (UAE) where I was given the ipad mini?

Yes, very much so. However I wanted to check with updates first before ruling that as the issue.

Sometimes a update can resolve a native app issue and the Date/Time also Time Zone.

They are all correct, unfortunately this iPad does not have Facetime because it is not a US iPad device.

One suggestion is you can try going to the Apple store and see if they will replace it for you with US iPad. Not guaranteed but Apple stores are very good with giving out one-time replacements. Many have been successful this way and it is worth a shot.

Please reply back to me with any further questions BEFORE selecting a negative rating. I will answer your follow ups.

I forgot to mentioned even though Facetime is not available on your device. You can still download a third-party software such Skype from the app store for Video calling.

Skype is much better because it is cross platform. As oppose to Facetime only can be used on Apple devices.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for these suggestions, but I would really like to have Facetime on my device. If the Apple store will not replace the device, how can I contact Apple senior manegement to ask for thier assitance?

Well you can call Apple support number and see what they can do for you.

But I would try the store first and see what they tell you. You can even speak to manager at the store.

Hi Ronald,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I visited an Apple store and they could not fix the machine so they gave me new one

Thank you

Ron Clarke

Very happy to hear that and glad the advice worked out for you.

If you have any questions in the future please save my direct profile link so you can reach me directly.