Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have a MacBook Pro operating with OSX 10.8.3. I received

I have a MacBook Pro operating with OSX 10.8.3. I received a message today that my iTunes library is damaged. I allowed the library to rebuild itself. My music all seems to be there but several hundred movies have disappeared from the lirbary.
Restart holding Command R to boot to recovery HD open Disk Utility select Macintosh HD and Verify Disk then Repair Permissions, let me know after
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did this and the movies are all still missing.

OK that was just a precaution.

So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions?

If so right click on Macintosh HD and go to Get Info what is listed as Capacity and Available?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes and yes.

Capacity 999.35 GB

Available 118.14 GB

OK have you always stored your iTunes library on the main drive or have you used an external at any point? Do you have an external drive we can use other than your backup?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I have a terabyte LaCie drive.

OK go to your Music folder and open iTunes folder drag your iTunes Media to the external drive just to be safe as a backup then drag it to the trash and empty the trash. Then select iTunes folder in your Music folder and enter Time Machine. Go back to the date you require and Restore replacing the whole iTunes folder. Hopefully you have enough room now. Open iTunes after. Let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Says it'll take 4 hours to copy so it'll be a while.

Yes I figured come back when ready.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried several times to copy tje folder but get messages that this file or that file, can't be read or written. Error code -36

Yes sounds like there are some permission or file corruption problems. Did you check the LacIe with Disk Utility? Verify Disk. Then also right click on the Lacie and go to Get Info under Sharing & Permissions check the box Ignore Ownership on this volume.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Done. Disk is OK and I checked the box.

OK you may not be able to copy everything... try again if you wish but if you are sure your backup is good you can just trash the media folder instead. Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yikes, that's a leap. All I know is that everything was fine in iTunes three days ago. This problem just started Saturday. Dire I take this chance? i guess I don't have any other choice.

Well then I would try copying again if you are worried.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'll give it another shot and get back to you. Thanks.

Write down which files can't be written.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mike, I finally got the movie files copied to the LaCie and entered the Time Machine and found the file to replace but am told that there's not enough space to copy the files. I have 150g on the hard drive. What gives?

Did you put the media folder in the trash and empty it first?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, definitely.

I guess you need more room tha that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Before this occurred, with all the movies on the drive, I had 120g of available space on the drive.

Well then I'm not sure it was corrupt maybe that reading was wrong. Try recovering it to another drive and see what's there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I recover to another drive from the Time Machine?

Sorry I guess you can't you will have to remove enough files on your main drive to do it. Maybe you can copy your iPhoto or Aperture library to another drive?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have to leave for a luncheon meeting. I'll try that when I return.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, I copied the movies back to iTunes and noticed that the iTunes library file was corrupted. I rebuilt the file and EVERYTHING IS THERE. Thanks a million for your help. I can breathe now.

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above. If you are not satisfied, please don't Rate to Finish and Reply to Expert and let me know what I can do to change that. Thanks.