Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

iMac model A1174, will not power on. No lights/sounds.

About all you can do is this it may need repair:

Resetting the SMC & PRAM for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
3. Wait fifteen seconds.
4. Attach the computer's power cord.
5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Still no response

Then I'm afraid you burned something out possibly the power supply. You should always wear the grounding gloves and unplug from power when working on a computer. Sorry.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was afraid of that. So is the power supply the small square board above the hard drive? I know that was stupid, I didn't realize I still had the power cord plugged in. In too much of a hurry...

But power supply board is a good start at replacement?

Well I cannot say for sure. You should have it looked at.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Here's where I'm at:

I ordered a new power supply and after install the mac booted up. I shutdown, unplugged power, grounded myself and put everything back together. Upon restart, I got the screen with ? folder flashing. I put my install disk back in and booted to it and reinstalled the OS. Install went fine and I was able to use the OS. I shutdown and turned back on- got the folder again. I again booted to install disk and used disk utility. Using verify and repair disk, they both said that drive appears to be ok. Tried to boot into safe mode and either it won't or not recognizing keyboard. The hard drive is new/tested.

If the drive is OK and new after the incident I can only guess the motherboard was affected in that case, sorry.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I reset the pram once after power off (sleep/resume working fine), unit boots perfectly.

I can live with that instead of replacing the motherboard.

OK great!!