Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I have a Memorex DVD-R that I burned some home movies from

I have a Memorex DVD-R that I burned some home movies from my video camera using a DVD burner and my TV. This disc will not play in the superdrive on my iMac (mid-2007) running on OS X 10.7.5. When I insert the disc it spins and eventually pops up in Finder but shows as blank. When I run Disk Utility it says the disc cannot be erased, and the options to repair permissions, etc. are greyed out. Is there a solution to this? I have researched on the internet and Apple site but no luck.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Does the disk play using a DVD player to the TV?
DO you still have the original footage that you used to make the DVD?
Do you know what the format was that the DVD burner used when creating the DVD?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, the disc plays to the TV using the original dvd player one which i burned it. I no longer have the original footage. I'm not sure about the format - do you mean DVD-R?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

are you still there?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Some DVD burners use a proprietary format that only they can play.
That does not mean all is lost, however.
You can import that from the DVD player to your Mac with this application.

I use this myself in just these type of situations where there is no direct input available.
Usually with VHS tapes or other unreadable disks.
I get quite good results also. Plus you can use iMovie or other editing apps to dress it up.

DVD-R, DVD+R, etc is the format, what the burner does is something different but is still known as format.
This will help explain that.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the Roxio software looks like it is for VHS? Will it convert a DVD to a DVD i.e. will it work with a DVD player instead of a VHS player?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
All it needs is an input, does not matter what source. It can be a VCR, DVD player, camcorder or anything that will connect to it.
It uses composite (red, yellow, white) RCA type connectors, common on video equipment.

I have used mine on two camcorders, three VCRs and 3 DVD players. Works well on all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, thanks

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I suggest making sure your DVD player has those connections (I think it will).

Keep me posted please.