Jason
Jason, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.
30759776

I have had virgin.net mail for many years and have also had

Customer Question

I have had virgin.net mail for many years and have also had an iPhone then ipad and now a mac pc I have NEVER been able to send emails from my apple devices and until now have relied on my windows pc. As I am moving over to apple totally I need to fix this problem.
Over the last year or so I have spent hours reading ways to sort this, changing ports, addresses and other settings but nothing works.
This is now urgent or I am going to have to change my email and that is so difficult with my work, friends and family all having the virgin address and my websites too.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

What is the exact error you receive when sending?

And can you receive email?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

By the way I can receive mail, no problems with that

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the error you receive when sending?

And who is your internet provider?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have sent this twice now but don't think it's going through.

The error message is "cannot send the message using virgin.net"

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX got this.

The second question was in relation to who your current Internet service provider is Robert?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

internet provider is sky but only for the last few months, before it was virgin and prior to that BT but none of them have worked for sending mail.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you cannot send emails on Virgin unless you are on their network (eg: They are your internet provider)

This is the case for all email addresses from your internet service provider. You can receive but not send unless you are on their network.

You can though send here Click Me

But via the email program, you can only send via your Sky address.

Do you want the details for Sky?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry I don't quite understand/agree. My wife uses hotmail and that works fine, my windows pc works with no problems it is just the apple devices that are using the same router as my win pc.

When we had virgin as a service provider the iphone would not send emails.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hotmail (and Gmail) are different. These are public services that allow it.

The iPhone would not send when it was on Cell Data, as it was not on Virgins network.

Or you had the settings wrong, if you used the iPhone via the WIFI (where it would work)

But I promised I am telling you the correct information.

You can call Virgin (or any Internet Service Provider) and confirm.

They all do this, not allow email sending unless you are on their network (a pain for my customers if they are traveling and need to email)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still do not understand why it works with windows and not apple

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It was Windows Live Mail correct?

This uses Hotmail to send, it is a very helpful feature.

Test in outlook, it wont work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it was virgin.net through microsoft outlook.

just to be sure we are talking about my apple desktop pc not being able to send mail

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I noted that.

This is the instructions

Click Me

The settings you also just use from Outlook if do at the moment have it on.

If it wont connect, can I log onto the computer with Outlook and check its settings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As my original question stated I have spent a lot of time serching and reading and what you have sent me I have read before and it does not work There are plenty of forums about this and some people get sorted but I don't understand the terminology they are using.

I was hoping to find someone that read my detailed question, understood it and gave me the answer. I spent money looking for an answer.

I know there is a solution I have seen forums ending with the words It is working now.

You are welcome to remotely source my Mac if you give me details, but only if you have a positive solution and not an attempt at something.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I want to remote Outlook

I stand by my statement that you cannot send via them as they are not your internet service provider.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So you want me to boot up my old windows pc? I will do if that helps to sort the problem but we are talking about my Mac I cannot see how that can help.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, if outlook is running, and it can send via virgin I want those settings please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK I have opened Microsoft Outlook on my old Windows laptop. What do you need next?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Go to Tools, Account Settings.

Select the Virgin account, then Change

Go to More Settings and tell me the outgoing Server and Port number please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

outgoing server is: smtp.virgi.net

Port is 25

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
And you use that on the Mac and it is not sending?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it is still rejected by the server

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

On the Mac

Click on the Apple menu from your toolbar.

Select System Preferences.

Choose View, then select Security when the System Preferences window appears on your screen.

Click on the Firewall tab.

Select the Stop button to disable your firewall. "Firewall Off" will now be displayed above the button.

Then try please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still the same response

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Then if outlook works on virgin at the moment, with these settings.

And you are not with Virgin, then it should not be possible, so I am not sure how outlook is doing it.

I will opt out for another expert who may

Sorry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I still want an answer. My expert could not help after over an hour of going back and forth and he told me to ask someone else. If you can view our exchange please do so
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem? I will send a remote link within minutes after your response, so please keep refreshing the page.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK if you think you can help, the last guy wasted a lot of time and gave me no answers. I am no computer expert but fairly savvy with most of it

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

AFTER YOU CLICK THE LINK BELOW, you can continue.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=b8353eea-9c0c-4c1f-8c55-1f8d7e6af58b&SUPPORT=NET

Then on that page click the big green button on the bottom of the page that says, "I agree, Run RemoteDesktop".

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you having any problems with running that remote application after it is downloaded?

Which Internet browser are you currently using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, or something of the like)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was trying to connect but without success. I am using default browser on my Mac so Safari I think

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update.

After you click the link, you must open the Downloads window, and double click the Elsinore... item allowing it to run.

Please, try once more.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I click the link I get a disclaimer with green download button, nothing else

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Very good.

Please, click that green button, open the downloads window, and double click the Elsinore item.

Thank you.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Let's try this another way since the first remote option is not working.

DISCLAIMER

By choosing to click the Join.Me link below, you understand and agree to give the Expert full access to and control over your computer for computer diagnosis, service and repair; that any third-party software acquired, installed or used during the RemoteDesktop session, by you or the Expert, will be licensed to you, and any terms of use agreed to by you.

JustAnswer strongly recommends that you at all times maintain a complete data backup and disaster recovery plan.

If you agree to the terms listed above, you may continue below.

- Click the following link: http://www.join.me
- On the resulting page, click the Orange play button
- Then download and allow that remote app to run.
- Once it is finished, please, tell me the 9 digit number that appears on the top of your screen.

[Note: Enter the 9 digit number with spaces after each three numbers or it will be blocked on this page]
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no play button

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

On that page, click the ORANGE button, please.

It will be on the left side of the page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

290 761 396

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The only way that this site will give me any credit for my time or compensate me for my time is if you rate me below.

Please, do not forget to click the Happy face on the bottom of this page and click Submit, if you are satisfied.

If you wish to request me personally for any future questions, you can do so at the following link: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-computertechmaster/

Thank you,
- Jason

Jason, Mac Technician
Experience: Several years of supporting Mac systems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Before I message anyone else regarding this I will come to you first. As you can see from the thread you fixed my outgoing email/Mac problem the other day. I have just tried to send my first email since then and find that nothing has changed and I still cant send them. I was not asked to save anything or change any settings so would be pleased if you could respond asap. Thank you.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update.

It was working before I disconnected.

May I remote back in and verify that it is working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=748841ce-3dd1-49eb-83b5-b7bb930b71ac&SUPPORT=NET

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Once again it wont connect but I have opened join me and the number is 326 761 515

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
All is working now.

The problem was that you did not have the correct outgoing server chosen.

If it happens again, just verify that Virgin.net is chosen.

Thank you.