David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

Hello I have a question about LACIE Quadra - a disk failed

Customer Question

Hello
I have a question about LACIE Quadra - a disk failed and now the entire Quadra is not recognised by my Mac
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is David, and I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Which LaCie Quadra is it specifically? Is it the 2big or the d2 for example?

What color is the LED at the front?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its the 4 bg Quadra

with 2 TB RAID 1 (10)

Big blue light

The LED's for each HD are blue except for the failed drive which is red

Even thought it starts up it is not being recognised by the Mac

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Which of the 4 disks is showing a red LED?

Do you have a lot of data on it? Do you have any other copy or that data?

Do you have a drive of equal or greater capacity to the failed drive?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

drive 3

The drive is partioned into 2 disks

I have a huge amount of data - should be fine because of RAID 10 - so getting the data back is not a problem

I have a new drive from LACIE 32TB - that could replace it - when I put the new drive in - I had the same problem of the Quadra not being recognised by the MAC

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

When you put in the replacement for drive 3, it needs to be formatted to match the other disks before the RAID can be rebuilt.

Put the replacement in and connect the Quadra.

Open Disk Utility. What do you see listed in the left?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

I've replaced the drive 3 with the new one and connected the Quadra

It has started I get a note saying

THE DISK YOU INSERTED WAS NOT READABLE BY THIS COMPUTER

If I click on INITIALIZE it takes me to Disk Utility

Disk Utility shows me the disk - but under first aid I cannot click on Verify Disk Permission, Verify Disk or Repair Disk

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Garrick,

On the left can you see all four drives in the LaCie?

Can you make out which one is the new unformatted device?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No - all it says is 4TB LaCie - the drives aren't listed (unlike the internal HD which is listed)

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

So on the left in Disk Utility you see the hardware description of the internal disk, and indented below you see Macintosh HD. Then you see the 4TB LaCie, and nothing indented below?

Can you list what you see on the left, and put > in front of what is indented.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1TB Hitachi HDE72101...

> Macintosh HD

4 TB Lacie

Superdrive

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Click the 4 TB entry, now click the Raid tab.

Is there anything listed there?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Untitled RAID Set 1

(Nothing listed)

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Open /Applications/Utilities/ and launch Raid Utility.

Does it launch, or give an error message?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It says RAID utility is not supported on this computer

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the CD that shipped with the Quadra, or have you already installed the software from it?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no I have neither

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Are any of the LEDs showing red since you put in the replacement drive?

Is there any blinking of any LEDs, hard drive or front?

Have you tried connecting the Quadra without anything in bay 3 at all?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All the LEDs are showing blue - and not blinking

I tried connecting the Quadra without anything in bay 3 - and it wasn't recognised

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
HI,

Do you have a single disk enclosure, or a hard drive connector cable?

I would like to try formatting the replacement drive before inserting it into the Quadra.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I'm sorry I don't

I got the replacement from Lacie - it should be plug and play - do you think there could be a BIOS problem with the Quadra?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

BIOS is a PC based firmware, and by firmware I don't think this is a firmware issue. It doesn't appear to be a firmware issue as it is detected with the replacement drive. It looks more like a software issue.

Was the other computer you connected it to showing the exact same, with the replacement drive installed?

Is the other computer a PC or Mac?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes exactly the same - the other is a MAC

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Can you try with just disk 2 and disk 4 in the Quadra.

Those are the second mirror.

If three has failed, it's counterpart is disk 1.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No - still not registering

and the drive does not come up in Disk Utility either

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

When you had the RAId set configured as RAID 10, did you then have that sub divided? You said that disk 3 was divided into 2 disks?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes - two partitions

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Is one of the LEDs showing what type of RAID set it is lit? Which one of them is lit?

See part D of the diagram here:
http://manuals.lacie.com/en/manuals/4big-quadra-usb3/raid

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mine is older - it doesn't have the LEDS showing the RAID level - it has a dial that is showing 1

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

At this point it looks like a problem with the RAID set means it is not possible to rebuild it or retrieve files from it using ordinary methods.

There is software that can attempt to retrieve files, and in my experience of data recovery the best of such software is Data Rescue 3 from ProSoft. It also works with RAID sets, and there is a demonstration of how to work with RAID sets and retrieve data here:
http://www.prosofteng.com/blog/recovering-data-from-a-apple-raid-using-data-rescue-3-by-prosoft-engineering-2/

Alternatively you can contact a data recovery specialist company, although their services can run into hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

The best two that Apple support recommend are;
www.drivesavers.com
www.krollontrack.com/data-recovery/

What kind of data is it? Is it camera footage, and do you still have that on tapes or memory cards?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you David _I'll take your advice and check out Data Rescue 3

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

OK, I have had good experience using Data Rescue 3. Let me know if you need help.

This is an awful situation, considering you chose the most data redundant type of RAID.

Please feel free to let me know if I can be of any more help.

Yours sincerely,
David.