David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

I am trying to open a MAC msw file but receive the following

I am trying to open a MAC msw file but receive the following error msg:

The Open XML file Macintosh
HD: Users: lindaharasim: Desktop: Linda’s Social Media B v1.docx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents.
Details
Unspecified error Location: 2

I am using a Mac OSx
Processor 1.8 ghz Intel Core i5
Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Pls. help.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Have you opened the document on this computer before?

Was it created on a different computer?

Do you have any other copies of it anywhere?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi:

Yes, I open it frequently and I was working on it yesterday. The file was created on this mac and there is no other copy anywhere.

Yesterday, there were problems with msw, and I had to force quit and restart.

Are there any graphics/images or other multimedia contents of the file, or is it just all text?

Can you open a new blank file and save it with the name 'test', to check the functionality of the software?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

David:

The file has graphics and images; I have copied and pasted various online articles into the file, which I am guessing might be the problem (?)

I have tested the functionality of msw b/c I just opened a new blank file (altho not called test).

Linda

Yes that could be the problem., or it is less likely to be a problem with just a plain text file.

Right click the file, and go to 'Open With'. Hover over 'Open With' and then go to Text Edit.

Does the file open with Text Edit?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

David: Yes, I just opened it with Text Edit. Now what? I am worried about how to save and protect it.

Linda

Hi Linda,

Now go to the Edit menu, and click Select All.

Then open a blank Works document, and paste into it.

You may lose some formatting, but the content is the most important.

When it is in the Works document, save it. Save it under a new name, not the same as the problem file.

Then close all applications, and open the new document.

If it is OK you should make a backup of it.

There are lots of ways to make a backup but it's best if it is not on the same computer.

You could save it on a USB memory stick, as this is the most common way.

Let me know if there are any problems, and feel free to ask any questions.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

David:

Thank you! I have the text, which as you noted is the key issue. Formatting in most of the book has disappeared but that is fixable.

However, all the graphics and data charts have disappeared. Is there any way to recover them, or should I just accept that as the trade off?

Linda

Hi Linda,

That may have to be the trade off for at least rescuing the text.

If there are no images in the Text Edit application, it is not because it can't show images. It must be down to a corruption of the file.

If there are images in the Text Edit application, they can be individually copied and pasted back into the Works document.

If there are links where the images should be then you may be able to go to the web and get those again.

To make sure you don't lose any work again you should take incremental backups of the document.

If you want to make a 'master' type document, that will be stable and work on any computer, regardless of software package used, then save the document as a PDF.

You can do that easily in OS X using the Print - PDF - Save As PDF option.

Here is a helpful YouTube video showing that process:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svvQapb5Bb8

Let me know if you have any questions at all, I will be happy to help :)

Sincerely,
David.